EPISODE TWENTY-THREE

Quinn's  Mansion. Los Angeles, California.

The reason for which she loves Ashley is mainly due to her best friend's thoughtfulness and the picture frame in her grasp is once again a testament to the fact. The cold sting of a tear on her cheek jolts her mind to the fact that she's crying against her will and betterment. Tremors shake her body as she gazes down at the image of her father in so very vivid colours and life, and for a brief second, it feels as if he isn't dead after all and her family isn't as divided as it is now. Reality is a painful thorn in her side when her mind reminds her none of what she's wishing for is true and although she wants to stop sobbing so Colby doesn't worry, so she doesn't ruin the pleasant mood they were having, she can't stop the small cry which flies out of her mouth.

She hugs the picture close to her chest just around the time Colby strides over to her, two fingers under her chin to lift her bowed head so she can look into his beseeching eyes. Rebecca wishes to drown in them forever. “It looks like someone needs a hug,” he teases lightly and before she can even nod or speak, before the picture frame can slide away from her chest, Colby's arms are already around her, crashing the picture frame and her to his muscular frame.

Rebecca’s hands are trapped in between his warmth and hers, the picture frame preventing her from getting the most intimate friction she desires but she still feels him enough to savour the heat of him engulfing her, the rhythmic beat of his heart near her ear and the delicate strokes he's rubbing on her back, providing a soothing calm to her quivering body. She's grateful for the quiet seconds which passes by, to Colby for his patience, for allowing her to stain his white shirt with salty tears and not minding even the smallest bit.

"It's a nice present," she hears him mutter over her head once her sobs had quietened down, his deep voice vibrating through her hair to the scalp.

Rebecca bobbles her head up and down in a nod, her face buried in his chest, not quite liking that all she can smell is the scent of soap instead of his natural scent but her throat is too choked up with emotions to be able to summon her voice to complain. She glances up at him a second later and smiles, "Ash is the sweetest, most thoughtful person you will ever find. It's one of these qualities I wish Fergal still possessed. Ash is the only person who actually takes time to think of what to gift me on special occasions while others are mostly random things here and there. When Ash gives me something, it's memorable and they never fail to disappoint or make me smile."

"Then why are you crying?" He gently brushes the tears from her cheeks, "Ashley picked this gift to make you smile and here you are crying. Tell me what's wrong. I know there's something else bothering you. Tell me."

Sniffing in an unladylike manner, Rebecca clutches the picture frame tighter so it doesn't topple to the wooden floor beneath them. "It isn't so much a problem so it is a mistake. It was a few years ago while I was still battling with depression and panic attacks. One night, I—" her voice trembles, "—I ended up burning the photos I had of my father and everyone else. I burned all of them, Colby. Every single one of them."

Colby's face twists with sorrow, "Oh Becks—"

"I didn't mean to. I didn't do it intentionally. I was feeling really depressed that day and the mere thought of all those happy memories in the photos, knowing that no matter what I did I won't ever have any of those moments back was just too much for me. It felt like my world had ended. I flew into anxiety and before I knew it, they were burning to ashes. All the photos I had in my treasure box. Not just the photos but also all the presents I had been gifted over the years from loved ones on my birthdays. Everything. Except that stupid teddy bear."