The Reason Why

"I'm still mad at you, you know?"

Kuina watches him from the corner of her eye as they descend the stairs. She had called him down the roof for another executives meeting taking place soon, and now she refuses to leave him alone on the way to the conference room. Chishiya doesn't reply to her like he hasn't replied to her former statements, but Kuina still doesn't want to take the hint and instead just continues on with her talk.

"Sure, I understand why you did it. Wake me up, I mean. BUT there are some people who actually care about their sleep, and you didn't even give me a proper explanation!"

Chishiya quickens his pace, although it's useless with the tall woman next to him being a specialist in Spades games. "There was no need to."

Kuina snorts and comes to a halt right in front of him, preventing him to walk any further. It's only due to the stair's advantage that he doesn't have to look up to see her face.

"No need to! I went to the pools, found our friend crying helplessly and had to learn that you tried to drown her! You could have at least prepared me for that."

Twice wrong, thinks Chishiya with a smirk as he rolls his eyes and squeezes past Kuina to walk on. If he had tried to drown her, his puppy would be long dead. And she is not his friend, and neither is Kuina.

"Your friend."

"Eh?" It takes a few seconds for Kuina to process his answer, and Chishiya can hear her running to catch up with him again.

"She's your friend, not mine." And why does the conference room have to be so far away from the rooftop? Kuina is not an executive; the only reason she's still with him is because she wants to talk while he doesn't.

"Oh, come on!" A strong arm is put around his shoulder and squeezes tight, accompanied by a cheeky chuckle, "I know you care for her. You wouldn't have been up there together with her if it wasn't true."

While Kuina knows him better than anyone else inside the Beach, she still doesn't know everything about him. "Kuina, stop it. I know what you're up to, and it's fruitless. Don't waste your energy on that."

Uttering a curse, Kuina releases him from her grip and simply continues to walk on next to him. "Honestly, buddy, you're weird. I can't see why someone would like you the way she does... But I won't judge, as long as you will tell me that I am right. That you hurt her and felt sorry and thus came to me to ask for help."

"You talk too much."

It seems that Chishiya is not the only one wondering about why the stubborn woman would fall in love with him out of all people. Of course it's not only obvious to him alone, and since Kuina spends time with both of them, she would be the first one to notice as well. Together with the fact that the other woman hasn't been actually subtle about her feelings when talking to either of them.

"Wait- you're not denying that?"

Chishiya didn't feel sorry at all, since he didn't do anything wrong. Although it is true that he called for Kuina because she'd handle a crying woman way better than he could have done. And he solely did it because he didn't want to hear her sobs still from his hotel room while trying to sleep. "I'm not confirming it either."

Another sigh, and a dreadlock is thrown against his shoulder when Kuina heartily shakes her head. "You know, I think she suits you."

A piece of clothing suits you. A person doesn't.

They have reached the lower corridor and Chishiya can already see Niragi guarding the conference room with the large rifle resting on his shoulder. He doesn't know the reason for the sudden meeting yet, but it's not unusual that Hatter calls for them whenever he has some new stupid idea he wants to debate about.