Deceitful Hopes

A whole hotel full of surveillance cameras, and not a single one is of any use. Hatter probably does assume that no one except him knows about the existence of this room, but of course Chishiya does. He knows every secret of the Beach... all but one. And Hatter is paranoid enough to keep it hidden from him.

Chishiya breathes out slowly and leans his hands against the table. It was a cakewalk to rewrite the system so it'd only show the one floor he's interested in together with some other rooms like the dining hall, and still there's not even a hint of something useful. Three cameras are supposed to show Hatter's suite, but all of those monitors are black. While most of the players aren't even aware that they're being monitored in their rooms, Hatter has covered all the cameras in his suite, and he did it good enough so not even a shade can be seen through. Nothing that would reveal the position of the playing cards.

Last night, after he had left Kuina with her little friend, he had followed Hatter through the corridors from camera to camera, but once he entered his room, he disappeared. Like always. The only thing Chishiya knows for sure is that the cards are in his suite, since he always enters with the cards and leaves without them.

It's a pity though, he thinks while crossing his arms. Locating the cards this way would have made it easier for him to steal them, but there's still another plan. With a higher risk, sure, but safe enough for him. Maybe not for Arisu, if he agrees to the plan – which he will for sure. But Chishiya's opinion hasn't changed; he's here to get the cards, not to make friends.

Speaking of which, the door to his right opens and he expects Kuina to enter. She is late, and it seems the other woman took quite long to wake up. The pile of dreadlocks appears in the doorframe, but someone else enters first.

And she definitely looks wrecked. The bruises have become much worse, and her body seems to be swollen with all colors of the rainbow. At least she managed to shower and get rid of the dirt.

It doesn't seem to bother her much though, since her mouth turns into a wide grin the moment she spots him. Which looks weird, considering that her face is swollen as well, but it is not her appearance that makes him frown. Neither are her attempts to take a look at the monitors.

It's the fact that she's here at all, in this room where he usually discusses his plan with Kuina. And it definitely isn't the right place for curious puppies – Kuina should have known that.

The stubborn must have seen what Chishiya has long managed to block out, since she covers her eyes with a shudder and a voice full of regret. "Dammit, Chishiya! How am I supposed to ever open my eyes again?"

You were not supposed to lay them upon this room at all.

"Kuina! I told you not to bring any random people here."

The indifference in his voice has its effect on both the women, since they inhale sharply. Chishiya is not indifferent to this at all, but he definitely doesn't want to explain. He can easily spot the tears welling up in her eyes, and that's exactly why he didn't want to have her here. She doesn't understand.

Instead, she seems to have turned all the happiness to see him into anger now. "Well, I'm obviously not anybody."

It would have been better if you were.

"You shouldn't be here." Neither is she the one to take Arisu's place – she's too easily frightened for such a job, and if Chishiya is being honest to himself, he doesn't want her to end up in Niragi's fingers, knowing what this man is capable of doing – nor does she seem able to keep such a big secret for herself.

Her eyes wander back to the monitors, and she blinks heavily to hold back the tears. Chishiya should have told Kuina not to bring her here, especially not after that game. But for that, he would have had to explain what exactly had happened, which he didn't want to and still doesn't. Although it seems that such an outcome has been inevitable, all because he allowed himself a single moment of stupidity and returned that kiss.