Chapter 14 : A team of genius

~Ellipse of several months~

POV Eléa

It's been several months since our last mission and a week after this last one, we found out that Elisa was sick. One day, at the Phoenix Foundation, she just fell on the floor so Matty ordered us to bring her to the hospital. She did lots of tests and when the doctors came back to us, they had the kind of face that Mac has when he doesn't have any idea to get us out of trouble. They announced us that Elisa had a liver cancer, and she started the chemo the day after. Now, she's really tired but she is undergoing medical treatment that severely attack cancer cells. Since we have found out for her cancer, I didn't stopped going to the medical lab at the Phoenix Foundation trying to find a cure for her. Mac comes to see me every day to support me in this ordeal, bring me some food, drinks. He thinks that I see anything, but I clearly see how he looks at me. He thinks that I work too much, that I probably should make some pauses, but I can't. The cancer of my best friend moves on fast and I'm about to find out a cure for her.

Today it's Chritsmas, so for once, I come out of the lab, to the delight of Mac. But not to spend time with him, I'm going to look after Elisa to the clinic where she's hospitalized and bring her to the beach. Christmas at Los Angeles, it's kind of different that the ones we had in France. Firstly, no snow. And secondly, Elisa's sick.

POV Elisa

Eléa brought me to the beach and we eat burgers. We discuss of everything and nothing but what makes her really sad is that I don't believe anymore in the magic of Christmas since my dad's deat on a 25th of December.

Eléa : You know, Elisa. The point is to be with family.

Elisa : That's what we're doing. You are my family.

Eléa : Eating fat burgers ? It's not exactly a holiday meal.

Farther away, we see a little boy with his sister or babysitter trying to fly a kite but can't throw it. I remember the time where we both played to the kite with Margaux. Eléa stood up and went to help them, and can throw it. Then, she came back to me.

Elisa : Do you think it's ironic that I got you a kite for you 20 years and you never used it ?

Eléa : Yeah, well I have more important things to do. Like find the thing that missing me to save your life. Anyway, I managed to get you a place in a clinic essay promising. The Raksnal trial, I pulled some favors.

Elisa : No, I don't want to be a guinea pig. That drug has some serious side effects.

Eléa : It could give you enough time until I found the cure for you.

Elisa : Hold on ! Are we having an earthquake ?

Farther away, we see a piece of the cliff that falls on the ground near to the sea. And the woman that Eléa helped earlier was screaming the name "Owen", maybe the boy's name.

POV Eléa

I run to the fall of the cliff and arrive in same time that a security agent. The woman told us that he's under the the fall.

Young lady : Owen's down there !

Security agent : Where down there ?

Young lady : He was in the cave, and the bluff just started to come down.

Eléa : Owen ! Owen !

Young lady : The ground just opened up and he fell in. It happened so fast.

Security agent : What do you mean, the ground just opened up ?

Eléa : It's a sinkhole. With small seismic shifts at ground level. It's common in California. It can cause a smal, spontaneous hole, especially in sand.