13

MARIAH

Days had passed since Valentino and I saw each other, as he had embarked on yet another business trip and I was engrossed with work. I had been promoted and now had to write articles while also advising and leading the lowest rank of writers. It was hard work, but it paid well and was exactly what I wanted to do.

Although we were both busy, we stayed in touch by texting a bunch and facetiming most nights. He didn't seem to mind the three hour time difference, as he claimed he never slept anyways.

"What do you think the second wonder of the world is?" I questioned Valentino as we somehow began to quiz each other this night over the phone.

Almost immediately he answered with, "The Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Gotta pick a harder one, Ri."

"Maybe you are as smart as me," I groaned, making him chuckle as I heard the voice of someone else in the background.

"Hey, my brother's here. I got to go, but I'll be back tomorrow. Can I see you?"

"I'll have to cancel my other date, but sure," I replied jokingly, my cheeks flushing as I waited for his answer.

"Don't mess with me Mariah," he laughed before adding, "I'll get you back for that one. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay. See you tomorrow."

"Bye."

"Bye."

Just as I hung up, Myles tumbled in my room with wide eyes, clearly realizing that he was caught.

"Were you listening to my conversation?" I exclaimed, my cheeks bright red as a smirk grew on his face.

"Okay...you two are so cute! That conversation—however boring it might have been—was exactly something I expected from you," he said cheerfully, clapping his hands as my face only flushed even more. At that moment, I wished for even a bit more of melanin to hide the blush.

"Whatever Myles. Let's finish taking these boxes over to your place."

Today was officially his last day of living here, and I had surprisingly started to feel better about it. He was right—we needed space. We had been with each other almost everyday since we were children. It was long overdue for one of us to move out.

I also knew that a certain someone was helping me to feel a lot better.

***
VALENTINO

"It's coming in on Friday," my father spoke in Italian, lighting the cigar in his hand as my brothers did the same.

We were seated in the living room of the home he owned in Calabasas, all the employees in the home forced to leave once we all met to speak. We couldn't risk anyone overhearing the conversation unless they were active within the organization.

"From where, Pa?" I questioned, leaning back in the chair as I toyed with the hem of my shirt.

As much as I sometimes hated being apart of the lifestyle I was born into, I couldn't hide the way I was somewhat interested in it. Still, I wished I was able to use my degree for what I truly wanted to do—without any ties to my father. Sure, I owned a bunch of properties, clubs, and restaurants, but I didn't want them to be associated with the Mafia at all.

"China. You know they never mess up...this is the biggest shipment we've gotten at once. I'm sending Moretti down there to get it...he'll get it done," my father spoke, an impressed look on his face as he noticed my interest. "Tell me about this girl you're talking to, Valentino."

My eyes widened as he said this, my brothers immediately turning to look at me for an answer. My father had never paid any interest into who I was dating, definitely because he knew that I would never rise to be a boss. It never mattered who I married or who I had children with, so I didn't know why he was caring now.

"I don't know what you want me to say. I like her...she likes me. We're nothing serious," I told him, avoiding his gaze by taking a sip of the scotch beside me.

"You want to have kids some day figlio? You'll be thirty in what...four years?"

It was actually three, but I didn't expect him to know my birthday. I would be surprised if the man even knew my damn middle name.

"I don't know. I have unlimited time don't I?" I questioned, making my father laugh his notable raspy laugh.

"You do. But both your brothers were married at thirty...I was as well."

I clenched my jaw at his statement, wondering why he even cared. I had never appeared to be of any importance on him, especially not with my life and future plans. He didn't care because I would never be a boss in his eyes. I would always be a capo while my brothers both had the chance to be boss—and I was always reminded.

I didn't want to be boss, I wanted to be out of this life, but it still hurt to know that he only valued his children if he thought they could inherit his position. He made sure to remind me that I ran my mouth too much, that I wasn't responsible, that I must not have been a Santori.

"Pa, I'm done with this conversation. I've been talking to this girl for what...a month at most? I won't be marrying her any time soon—if we even become anything."

"You've spent $5,000 on security for dates with this girl. You only take two guys and now you got four?"

I had nothing to say. He was right. I had never spent that much on security—especially not for time with a girl. But with Mariah, I suddenly realized that I probably needed more protection if I was gonna be taking her out. If she got hurt because of me, I didn't know what I would do.

"You're right. Am I wrong for not wanting to put her in danger?"

"Not at all," he replied, looking over to my brothers who were surprisingly completely silent. I'm glad they were.

"I have a flight to catch. See you back in the city."

With that, I stood from my chair and walked out the front door of the house. As soon as I sat in the car, I got a text from Mariah which somehow made me feel the slightest bit better about the conversation I just had.

'Going out to dinner with Amber and Ashti :)'

'I'm glad. Call me later?'

'Of course'

As soon as I texted her, I dialed the number of someone I trusted with my life—my childhood friend Luciano, one of my father's soldiers. He had been one of the people in my life who I could trust to do what I needed—which is exactly why I called him for help.

"I need you to do something for me. Ask Wesley where the girls are getting dinner tonight and protect them. Take Marco with you maybe."

"Wow. I don't get a 'hello' or anything," my friend laughed through the phone as I shook my head at him. "Yeah, I'll do it. When will I get the chance to meet this girl?"

"When I feel like it," I told him nonchalantly, listening as he laughed through the phone once again. "Grazie fratello."

"Addio."

"Addio."