33

VALENTINO

"Valentino, look at me," Mariah spoke for the third time as I stayed in the same spot since my brothers left, my eyes cast down at my shoes.

I was embarrassed. Embarrassed that she had to see me get that angry at my brothers, embarrassed that she had to watch me fight Adriano over it. I should have handled myself—not act like my brothers and my father, who didn't know anything but to fight.

Caught in my thoughts, I felt her place her hands on my cheeks, lifting my head so that I was looking at her. Her eyes were still glazed, reminding me of the way she had just pleaded for me to stop fighting my brother.

"I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry, Mariah," I finally spoke, my voice coming out quiet and raspy.

I watched as she gave me a small smile, rubbing one of her hands along my jawline as she replied with, "I'm kinda glad you did it. Adriano deserved it."

Her words made me chuckle as I leaned into her touch, wrapping my arms around her waist in turn, not wanting to look away from her anymore.

"That was the first time I've ever fought him. He was always so much bigger than me when we were younger so he would always fight me and I couldn't do anything back," I admitted, watching as a grin grew on her face. As much as I expected her to be angry, she was the complete opposite, which made me feel just an ounce better.

"Well, I'm sure he won't be trying it again with how rough he looked walking out of here."

We fell into a comfortable silence after our laughter settled, both of us I'm sure thinking about what had just transpired and why. I had been fine with him insulting me, I was used to that. But what he said about our own mother threw me over the edge. How could he blame her for our father's actions?

"Val, I'm gonna ask you one question and then we are still going to enjoy this day the way you intended for us to. We can't let them ruin it." I nodded and she continued with her question. "Does your father really...do that to your mom?"

As I nodded, I watched her suck in a breath, fear rising in her eyes as she clearly felt upset for my mom. That was the thing about Mariah—she cared about people so much that she would feel such strong emotions for them—something I admired about her.

"Did you ever tell anyone?"

"You said one question."

"Please, I just want to know, Val," she said seriously, taking my hands in hers.

"I told my aunt...my father's sister when I was ten. I thought she would care because her and my mother were so close, but she told me that my mother knew she was marrying a man in the mafia and should have expected it. I knew that if my aunt thought that, everyone else would too. When I was sixteen, I fought my father for it and he..." I paused, not sure if I could even get the words out...or if she would even want to hear them.

"You don't have to tell me Valentino. You don't have to tell me until you're ready," she smiled, pressing a kiss to my lips. "But we are going to talk about Deja."

"Uh oh," I replied with a laugh, shaking my head at her as she led me outside to the porch.

***
MARIAH

After what had transpired earlier in the day, Valentino and I decided to simply stay at the house and enjoy our time there. We spent most of our day out by the pool—except for the time he took me up to the bedroom.

"I promised Myles, Ashti and Amber I would Facetime them today," I told Valentino who was laid out on a beach towel beside me, claiming he was perfecting his tan. "Should I tell them?"