Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Karaoke

"Hey Lu! Alyssa, am I right?", the drummer welcomes us with a hug at the karaoke bar. Gosh Tris smells so good!

He adds: "Now you can get to know my friends. Cassie, Sophy, Mona and Cole and Trevor already sit there and the boys from the band will be here any minute. You will probably like them. Con and Brad are so funny, James is so sweet, do you still like blondes? I think he'd be your type"

He'd be my type? But you are my type!

"Haha, it depends", I say, probably blushing like crazy.

"Well. Meanwhile you can sit down right there. I'll get us some drinks", he says and Alyssa and I go to the table, while the others are smoking shisha.

"Hey girls", Cassie hugs me. "I am Cassandra, but you can call me Cassie"

"Luna", I say. " and that's Alyssa", she hugs her too.

"I'll call you Lulu", she says turning to me and throwing her hair back.

"Who wants a shot?", Tris comes back, asks the group and puts down the glasses.

I definitely need alcohol to get through this evening, so I take one. They start to smoke shisha.

"Want some?", Cole asks.

"I don't smoke"

"You should try it. It's good!"

"No thanks"

"It won't hurt anyone", he says and grins.

"No sorry" , I say again.

"If she doesn't want to, just leave her alone!", Tris defends my decision.

"Thanks, but you don't have to say anything Tris ", I explain to him. He shouldn't defend me.

"Sorry, didn't know that she needs some special treatment", Cole says, Cassie and Mona laugh.

"Wow what a douchebag, why has Tris so rude friends?", Alyssa whispers in my ear.

"Don't ask me. He is so different when we're alone!", I say

"Hey Cassie. We're next!", Tristan says after a while.

"I don't want right now babe!", Cassie says.
"But it's a duette", he looks a little bit upset and desperate.

"I am not the only one here", she says in a pissed voice.

He rolls his eyes and looks at me: "Lu, would you sing with me?"

"I don't know"
"It's gonna be fun", and there is his stunning smile again and I feel like swooning.

"Fine. What song are we singing?", I ask and bite my lip as we stand up and get our microphones handed.

"Empire state of mind from alisha keys and jay-z"

"Well. I'll try" I am nervous. I would have chosen a different song. Something easier.

"Let loose Lu!", he says seconds before the song starts and smiles and it really helps me. It's just for fun. Nobody will grade me, and hopefully Cassie and her entourage won't laugh at me. The song begins and Tristan starts to rap. Wow he really can rap. Didn't know that!

Now it's my part: "In New York concrete jungle where dreams are made of

There's nothing you can't do

Now you're in New York

These streets will make you feel brand new

Big lights will inspire you

Let's hear it for New York, New York, New York"

We stare at each other and I have goosebumps. The song ended. I never sang with him before. As cheesy as it sounds, but it felt magical to me. I look around, his friends were busy talking, smoking,drinking and beeing on the phone. Only Alyssa was clapping and cheering at us: "Go Luna!"

"Trissy give me a kissy", Cassie shouts, already drunk, after we return to the table after our song.

"Sure babe, in a second", the blonde says and turns to me: "You still have a beautiful voice"

"Thank you. You weren't bad yourself.", I smile. "It really was fun!"
"It was!"

"Trissy!" Cassie says in a high pitched voice: "Now!"

How rude can someone be? She's too busy to sing with him, but as soon as she wants him, he needs to jump. How can he be with someone like her? She really needs a lot of attention.

"Sorry, we'll talk later", he turns around, she kisses him, puts her arms around his neck and they start making out. It looks like they try to eat each other, so I turn around and sit down next to Alyssa, who is talking to Connor, I guess. Well at least one of Tris band members. They came in when we were singing.

"You have a great voice!", the blue eyed and blonde guy says. His hair is more light brown, but he bleached it blonde.

"Thanks. You're James right?", I ask.
"Yes. Luna am I right?"
I nod and look at Tris and Cassie.
"You like him, don't you?", James asks.

"What? Tristan? No. Or do you mean as a friend? I am not sure if we even are real friends", I take a sip from my drink.

"That's what you say, but your eyes say something different. It's the way you look at him", he whispers.
"What? No I don't. I mean we were friends, but he is so different now", I stutter and sigh:

It's a long story". Talking about Tris's and I's relationship makes me uncomfortable.
He puts my arm behind me and lays back: "Don't worry. I won't tell him. But you should!"

"Tell him what?", I ask.
"That you like him" he takes a sip from his drink.
"I told you I don't. Not like that. Besides he has a girlfriend", I say.
"Honestly. I know you for what? Half an hour and I already can tell that you are a better and nicer person than Cassie"

"Thanks. I guess. But she can't be that bad, I mean Tristan likes her."
"Cassie is well, how should I say", he scratches his chin: "She has a very unique personality", he smiles.
"But he is happy, isn't he?",I look into James' green-blue eyes.
"I don't know. He thinks he doesn't deserve nice girls, like you."

"Why would he think that?", I ask James.
"Oh a really nice girl once broke his heart, so he dates the mean ones"
"Oh. What happend?", I am genuinely interested. He never said anything and I can't imagine Tris being heartbroken and sad because of a girl. It appears that he always keeps his cool.
"He should tell you. I don't have any right to say anything"

"Oh. Okay"

"But he told me that you were close friends when you were younger. I guess it's nice that you are in contact again", James says. It's really nice to talk with him.
"Yes. You could say we found each other through music" I laugh and continue: "Well, music class. It was weird, we were really close friends when we were younger and one summer he suddenly was gone from my life. I don't know what had happened"

"Why don't you ask him?", the guitarist suggested.
"Maybe I am scared. Maybe I have done or said something that made this friendship end", I say. I can't believe I tell James this, I barely know him. Maybe it's the alcohol.
"Maybe it's not the reason you think it is, but if you don't ask him you will never know. You should ask him. If he wouldn't be friends with you, you wouldn't be here, so I am just guessing, but I don't think you did anything wrong!"

"Thanks James, you're a nice guy!"
"Tristan too and I am very confident that you two will work this out!"

I didn't know but talking about it really helped, especially with someone else than Alyssa and I guess James must know Tris really well too.