I was a teenage abomination

"Have you ever seen anything so beautiful, Luz?"

I can think of a few things, sunsets, King sleeping, the rain.

Eda perked up from the corpse of a trash slug, countless flies scanning the area.

"Is it magical?"

"Nope, but that reminds me of something I wanted to try. Light based and quality of life glyphs seem to appear in the spell in some way, others not so much."

Eda tossed her staff a short distance and drew a spell circle, an orange light moved over to Owlbert and a more obvious glyph appeared. Luz drew her pen and paper from her hair to copy it. A small circle at the center focused on the staff while six question marks, each with a triangle instead of a dot, orbited it. She tried to activate it, but nothing happened.

"Think of something you're missing."

King had buried himself somewhere in the trash slug, searching for it's treasures. Luz thought of his skull and the paper folded itself into a paper airplane. It hovered over to King, who soon came running out of the slug.

"What dastardly object dares chase me!"

Luz giggled at the little demon as he tripped and smacked into a greasy orb that rolled to Eda. Luz retrieved the little demon and copied more of the spell while Eda cleaned the orb.

"A Grudgby ball!" She exclaimed, lighting it on fire and hitting it in the air. It landed with a loud thud, sending a few flames in the surrounding area and scaring King into Luz's hair. Another glyph made itself known on the ball. She copied it and ignited the ball by herself, tossing it in the air as well. Eda extinguished and caught the ball of her childhood while Luz experimented.

The glyph couldn't shoot flames or fireballs, just igniting the area it was on. When she drew a spell circle with her wand it made a small burst of fire in the air, but didn't have anything to catch onto. Focusing just on the wand, rather than making a spell circle, something akin to a candle on the tip of her casting focus appeared.

"As much as I love a good bit of arson, today's not all about magic. Our lesson is about resourcefulness. Magic can't get you everywhere, some spells require materials to cast and the bile sac is limited."

Eda presented her a greaseball. Cleaning it revealed a jumble of paper clips and a seed.

"It might not look like much, but life will reward you for being creative, once you find the plant glyph that seed can become a life-saver; walls of thorns, corpse blossoms, trees. The sky's the limit, and who knows what suckers you can scam with those metal things!"

Luz nodded and pocketed the trinkets in her hair, getting an idea while she did so.

"The rest of the hour will mostly be about digging through this thing, so you're free to go. It's going to rain today so be home soon and don't get eaten."

"Yes mami!"

___

Luz dug through her hair atop a tree, pulling out each feather and drawing small light glyphs near the shafts, then returning them to her mane.

"You can do it! You can do it!" rushed through the trees when the last feather was placed in her hair, light glyph included.

Mysterious voice of encouragement? You're not tricking me into another fake quest, are you?

"You can do it. Even if you get a bad grade, it's not a reflection of you as a witch. And my parents are right. There are better opportunities on this track. Now, get to school! Oh, no! Oh, little friend! I'm sorry!"