Chapter 11: Stay

"(Name). Levi. You've returned," Erwin greeted you. His eyes lingered on the bruise on your face for a few moments before he looked back down at the paperwork that scattered his desk.

You raised your hand to touch your face where Charlotte's mother had struck you. Your heart began to burn again, in pain and guilt for your failure to protect your comrades. But the moment you saw Levi beside you out of the corner of your eye, you remembered that it was no longer a burden you had to bear alone, and relaxed into the comfort of his existence in your life. 

"You've experienced this before," Erwin said, cutting directly to the point, "can you recover?"

"Yes." 

"That's good. We can't risk losing your skills here in the Survey Corps."

"Erwin, I have a request," you interjected.  

Raising a brow at the sound of determination in your voice, Erwin gestured with his hand. "Go ahead."

"I wish to give up the position of squad leader."

At this, both Erwin and Levi turned to you sharply.

"What?" Levi asked first, shock evident in his gray eyes. 

"Why is that?" Erwin asked.

"Again, I failed to protect my squad as their leader," you said, "and the pain and guilt I feel for their deaths will forever remain on my shoulders. You and I both know, Erwin. I was never the best qualified for this position."

"You've been a squad leader here for some time. Though you rose through the ranks rather quickly, it took time for you to be truly accepted by the others here. Do you really wish to leave this behind?"

"Yes."

Erwin closed his eyes briefly, seeming to contemplate for a moment before he opened his eyes again.

"(Name). You have always gone about with a clear goal in your eyes. From when you left underground to find your parents in Wall Sina, became a cadet to become stronger, and became a member of the Survey Corps to avenge the deaths of the fallen. And you have always had the overlying goal of finding a specific reason for your place here in the world...to discover a way to let others back into your life," Erwin stared into your eyes, "if you are now willing to give up your position as squad leader, I assume that you have finally fulfilled this goal as well."

"That's correct," you confirmed.

"Then I relieve you of your duties and appoint Levi as the next squad leader."

"I never agreed to this," Levi hissed.

"Levi..." you began, wanting to explain that it wasn't what he thought it was. You weren't running away from the Survey Corps, nor were you running away from yourself. Rather, you had decided to run towards you destination, without the burden of the title of squad leader upon your shoulders. 

Without letting you finish, Levi grabbed you by the arm, dragging you out of Erwin's office. Swinging you around the corner of the doorway and allowing the door to slam shut, Levi demanded angrily, "what do you think you're doing? Didn't you say you would help take responsibility for their deaths, that you would avenge them?" 

"I can't keep watching the people around me die," you said, trying to calm him down, "so—"

"I'll continue to fight for humanity," Levi said, "but are you going to be a coward and leave them behind?" 

"Levi."

Finally you stopped him, placing a hand over his, which was desperately gripping your arm. "I'm not going anywhere," you reassured him softly, "you and I both know better than anyone that there's no use in running away. Life is only complete with sorrow and suffering and we're bound to face that many times. I'm not as strong as you. That's why I can't continue to carry that title, knowing I'm as weak as I am." 

Levi released your arm, instead catching your hand in his. 

"Stay. Don't leave." 

And as his eyes burned into yours, you inclined your head. 

"We're in this together. Always, from now on. We'll be by each others sides." 

Seeming to have been satisfied hearing your answer, Levi let your hand fall, turning and walking away in the opposite direction. You watched his back stray further into the distance until he disappeared, your heart at ease knowing that unlike those in your past, you would most definitely see him again. 

Levi needs me as much as I need him. 

So you would stay. You would continue to fight. Both you and Levi had finally discovered someone strong enough to stand beside, who shared the knowledge of a past that only the two of you were aware of. 

I've finally found you, a person who has persistently remained beside me. 

That's why, Levi, I'll never lose you again. 

~•~✾~•~

"Give me your hand," Levi said.

You held out your hand and he took it, turning it over to reveal an extravagant golden ring shimmering on your finger.

"Watch your step," Levi cautioned, helping you down the stairs. You turned back to look at the beautiful white house you had stepped out of. It was large and clean, the house of your dreams.

"The titans have finally been vanquished, haven't they?" you asked.

Levi turned to smile at you, something you had never previously seen before.

"Yes. They have."

"Then...can we finally live in peace?"

"We can and we will," Levi said, bringing your hand to his lips, "since from now on, we'll be together always." 

~•~✾~•~

You sat up on your mattress, gasping. You clenched the covers of your bed, your breaths coming out in short gasps, as they always did after a nightmare. Then, you took a moment to process what had just occurred, and then covered your face with your hands. Tears began to make their way down your face once more.

For the first time, you had slept peacefully, without a nightmare about your past.

Instead, you had dreamt about peace with Levi. It was finally the beginning of a new life, a new start for you at last. You could live again. You could finally see it in your clear sight again: a life free of pain and nightmares, just within your grasp.

And it was all possible because...

"Thank you..." you hugged your hands to your chest, weeping with relief and happiness.

He had finally returned to your life, your hero of the past, present, and future. 

"Thank you, Levi."

~•~✾~•~

My Ice Heart is Yours

Revised, originally published on Deviantart

https://www.deviantart.com/wishbloom-hearts

~•~✾~•~

To be continued...