Chapter 2: Just By Chance

Casey couldn't believe what she was hearing. Working with Maria Taylor was an opportunity of a lifetime! She was shocked that Jeremiah was giving her this type of job off the bat. She figured she would have to work her way up to this type of position. Maybe it was the Louisville connection, but Casey was not about to mess this up. 

"However, there is another role we need you to fill and its urgent." Jeremiah looked at Casey with a strange look on his face. As if, he was nervous about her answer. "What do you need me to do?" Casey asked. Whatever it was, it would probably work in Casey's favor if she just said yes to anything that Jeremiah asked. People would kill to be in her position. She figured anything he asked, couldn't be that bad. 

"We need you to help with the gathering stats in game for the NBA Playoffs. We had a few people that can't travel as much because of pre existing conditions and covid. And the few people we have that can travel are stretched thin. We need someone covering the Philly/Atlanta series. Can you do it? We'd need you in Philly for Wednesday's game. Then Atlanta for the next two games." 

Casey's jaw dropped. Jeremiah wanted her to do the in game stats for one of the most talked about series in the playoffs?!? Casey couldn't help but smile. Jeremiah looked a Casey with a sigh of relief. 

"I see why Nate didn't want you to go. You are going to be quite the asset! Erica will get you everything you need. Your leave tomorrow."

Wednesday Afternoon

Casey drove in her Rav4, looking out the window, taking in the sites of Downtown Philly. She had never been here before and was stoked to be working the game tonight. Casey grew up keeping up with the stats of various basketball stars with her dad and Chris. March Madness had been her favorite games to cheer at Louisville. The crowd was electrifying and the energy during those games was just unmatched. The first game of the Philly/Atlanta series had such an insane finish and she knew game two was going to be even better.

She pulled up to the arena and flashed Security her ESPN credentials. Erica had given her very detailed directions on what to do and where to go. Casey was grateful that Erica was so thorough because she was overwhelmed with everything. She parked her car and made her way to the designated area for employees. She was a little early, which was fine with her as she got a chance to gather her thoughts. She talked with a few of the other ESPN employees who were working up in the booth and apart of the film crew as she waited for a tour of the arena. She's glad she had worn a cute but comfortable outfit as the arena tour was a nice little treck. Casey played it smart, wearing a pair of Madewell blue jeans, a white Elsa blouse from Lilly Pulitzer, and her brown Tory Burch Miller sandals. She decided to flat iron her hair today and throw on some light makeup. She had done just enough for everyone to take her seriously but not to much that she looked like a jersey chaser. Casey was walking beside Mark, who was  the Head of Operations of basketball for Philly. 

"There's a few guys out here warming up. Here's your seat Casey. If you need anything throughout the game, food, water, ANYTHING, please let me know. If you can't find me, you should be able to find the VP of Operations, Kendall. Just press this button here and we'll get you taken care of. Welcome to Philly!" Mark said.

"Thank you Mark!" Casey opened up her tote bag to take out her Surface laptop and anything she needed. She looked up just in time to see a basketball come flying at her face. She caught it just in the nick of time.

"Tobias! Bro you almost hit her! Watch it! I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" A voice said in her direction. 

Casey sat the ball in her lap and looked towards the direction of the voice. Matisse Thybulle was standing right at her table with a very concerned look on his face. Casey recognized him instantly as she binged watched his YouTube videos before he went on a hiatus. Damn he's cuter in person, Casey thought to herself. But we don't do athletes Case. Been there done that. Casey smiled at Matisse handing him the ball back. "I'm okay. I have good reflexes. Getting a ball this close to my face is nothing compared to someone tumbling close to your face. Good luck tonight!"