Practicing celibacy

Mark found Derek in the attending lounge changed and writing on a yellow legal pad. Mark looked over his shoulder and asked, "That your toast?"

"Yeah."

Mark leaned against a counter and said, "Keep it clean. Dirty never plays well."

Derek snorted and replied, "Are we almost at the end of the best man advice? Cause considering the source........it's hard to take it seriously."

"I am your best man Derek. Always have been." Derek swiveled his chair around to look at Mark directly.

Derek asked incredulously, "What's does that suppose to mean?"

"In college, we'd go out together and I'd be talking to a girl and you'd be standing there like......... an idiot. At the end of the night she wanted to know who my quiet friend is. Assumes you're deep!" Mark rolled his eyes.

Derek had to chuckle. It was true.

"I choose plastics and suddenly I'm superficial compared to the great brain surgeon Derek Shepherd?"

And.........sleeping with Addison? You want the honest truth? That's the best thing I ever did for you!"

Derek scowled," Come on! Are you serious?"

"Your marriage was lousy. Suddenly it's not your fault. You know what the best mans job is? Make the groom look good. You've made a career out of looking good in comparison to me. And if you hadn't come out here you never would have met Meredith."

Mark's pager went off and he said, "Fuck! 911. The toast........ It's too long. Keep it short and sweet. Always leave them wanting more." He left the room quickly and Derek started getting his belongings together to head to the airport thinking about what Mark had just said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meredith and Mark were scrubbing out when the chief walked in. He said, "Great save there Dr. Slone. I wasn't sure you were going to get that arm attached. I was watching from the galley."

Mark said, "It was touch and go there for a moment. But I had great help in Dr. Bailey and Dr. Grey." Dr. Bailey came in from the OR and started scrubbing out too.

The Chief said, "Again..........great job everyone. See you on Monday. And hopefully Dr. Shepherd will be in a better mood after a long weekend at his friends wedding."

Bailey asked quizzically, "What's wrong with Shepherd's mood?"

Richard said, "His divorce was final today. You know.........even if he wanted it........still a painful day. I'll see you all on Monday. Good night."

Mark quickly looked at Meredith after he heard her slight gasp.

Miranda said, "Um....still waters run deep. He didn't say a thing about it. We had lunch together."

Mark said, "I just saw him before he left for the airport. Not a word." He raised his eyebrow at Meredith and she shook her head no.

Mark glanced at his watch and watched Meredith take a deep breath and chew on her lower lip. "Dr. Grey. Your shift is over. Thanks. I've got it from here."

Meredith said, "Ugh.........okay. Good night." Meredith left the scrub room quickly.

Bailey raised an eyebrow at Mark and said, "That's unusual. I know her shift is over but she usually volunteers for the post op. Oh you know what......She is bumping up against the eighty hour limit. I'll get you another intern."

Mark said as he walked out, "That would be great Dr. Bailey. Just have them find me in post op for my instructions."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------