Chapter 5 Ari

As we walk back to the shelter, I notice Square is trying his best to break the ice. I don't know if it's because he simply doesn't want the awkward silence or he actually just likes talking to me.

"Is there something you have a taste for?" He leans over to ask me.

"Besides you" my wolf purrs in my head. Down girl, down.

"No, not really. I've been surviving off of Fat Joe's for weeks. If that tells you anything, it should let you know, that I'm not picky." We share a laugh. His laugh is just as magical as the sound of his voice.

"It was the best I could do. I'm new to the area, I don't have a job and I was trying to stretch the money I have, as far as it could go." I finish

After choosing for us, he calls ahead and places an order for two pastrami sandwiches at a local restaurant. He told me; he was going to get me accustomed to legit New York food. By the time we walked to the restaurant, our order was ready. It's a beautiful day out, so we decide to eat at the local park, instead of heading back to the shelter.

Sitting here, next to him, I find my nerves are slowly fading away. I feel like I've signed up to play 21 questions and I didn't even know it. He quickly caught on, the questions about my past, got a quick pass. If it bothered him, me being secretive, he didn't show it. He just continued on, asking another question.

I'm starting to see the friendlier side of Square, Liz talked about when we first met. I thought several times, throughout our talk in the park, of how great friends we would be. It actually pains my heart; we will never have an actual true friendship.

I found out really quick, he is an amazing person. That explains why he's so popular. His phone has been ringing off the hook but he hasn't answered it. He would just hit ignore and send a text. He told me, he had to at least send a text, so people wouldn't worry. Eventually, he stopped even sending messages, when they kept calling. I was surprised, I found myself getting jealous. He informed me; people looked out for him because who he is. He gave me a brief summary of what happened to him and his family.

I couldn't stop from flinging myself into his arms. I held him, suddenly I felt our magic melt into each other. Even though, I was caught off guard by the sensation, I embraced it. It felt like coming home. I can tell he felt it too because he held on even tighter. When I finally released him, he was looking at me with so much emotion. I could see the magic dancing in his eyes. His crystal blues held me captive and it was as if the world around us had stopped. The moment felt too intimate, I had to break away.

Square clears his throat, straightening himself. "So, tell me something about yourself that no one else knows."

"I'm really like an open book; everyone knows everything about me." I laugh. I realize my mistake, when he gives me a questionable look.

"I use to be an open book, before everything changed." think Ari...think. "Umm...A few years ago I taught myself piano. I don't think anyone really knows that. I use to run off and teach myself for like an hour every day. I actually got pretty good. I love to sing and I thought one day I could be a composer. Since I don't see myself having a future in the MLB." I chuckle to myself. Adam always told me; I could be the first female to make it to the MLB. I laugh remembering the thought. "I had to have a plan B... but it looks like I might need to come up with a plan C as well." I finish

"Wait a minute...so you sing, play piano and you play baseball? Where have you been all my life?

I just laugh him off. "Seriously if you tell me, you're a painter, I'll marry you right now." Square continues, while grabbing my hand, getting on one knee.