Marchosias

Marchosias is a great and mighty Marquis of Hell, commanding thirty legions of demons

Marchosias is a great and mighty Marquis of Hell, commanding thirty legions of demons. Marchosias was once a young prodigy among the Angelic Orders and is considered to be a very open and friendly demon who is known to be a reliable helper to those who have summoned her.

Having once been of the Angelic Order of Dominations, Marchosias chose to join the "Fallen" angels who left the Orders long ago. They were against the separation of the Angels, but chose to leave after having to choose sides.

In the Ars Goetia, the first book of The Lesser Key of Solomon (17th century), they are depicted as a wolf with gryphon's wings and a serpent's tail, spewing fire from their mouth.

Original Text from the Ars Goetia:

“The Thirty-fifth Spirit is Marchosias. He is a Great and Mighty Marquis, appearing at first in the Form of a Wolf having Gryphon’s Wings, and a Serpent’s Tail, and Vomiting Fire out of his mouth. But after a time, at the command of the Exorcist he putteth on the Shape of a Man. And he is a strong fighter. He was of the Order of Dominations. He governeth 30 Legions of Spirits. He told his Chief, who was Solomon, that after 1,200 years he had hopes to return unto the Seventh Throne. And his Seal is this, to be made and worn as a Lamen, etc.”

  Marchosias is a strong fighter and gives true answers to all questions, and is very faithful to the in following their commands.

Marchosias is a demon that’s all about strength. Both inner and outer, he teaches one to use their innate power to help themselves. People summon Marchosias if they need a healthy dose of power and motivation in their life.

In the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum, the demon is called Marchocias and his description is much the same as that given in the Goetia except that his gender when appearing as a wolf is female ("a cruel she wolf") and spewing forth "I cannot tell what" from their mouth. They likewise hopes to eventually return to the Seventh Throne but is "deceived in that hope." They have been called the Demoness Marquess of the Night.

The name Marchosias comes from Late Latin marchio, "marquis".

A marquess is a nobleman of high hereditary rank in various European peerages and in those of some of their former colonies.