𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

THE CRISP AIR AND MORNING DEW greeted her nostrils smoothly as she settled into the moist grass of the secret garden behind her home

greeted her nostrils smoothly as she settled into the moist grass of the secret garden behind her home. The sun warmed her cheeks at the same time the breeze cooled them down, masking her in perfect serendipity.

Once a year, every year, her father didn't come home for the night—and it just so happened that day was her birthday. She and Matteo had turned fifteen today, and as the second half of the day began to roll around, Matteo's turn to choose what they would do arrived.

She turned her head, brushing the short strands of her bob out of her face, and gleamed at him. He was next to her, but upside-down; his eyes at her chin, and vice versa. Smooth cheeks and sun-kissed skin accosted back at her as she investigated his closed eyes and curved lips. It was as if peace had come to visit Earth today, and chosen to inhabit him.

Rayne smiled to herself and looked back toward the clear blue sky. It was a gift whenever Matteo was calm because it didn't happen frequently. He spent his days protecting her from their monstrous father, and his nights consoling her to sleep.

"Hey, Mat?" she asked.

"Yes?" he breathed softly.

"Do you think our lives would be different if Mom were still alive?"

It was a random question, she knew—and one she probably shouldn't have asked on their only day away from the horror, but it'd been gnawing at her for a while. She stayed still while Matteo shifted near her, and it wasn't until he looked down at her, resting his upper body on his elbow, did she see the confusion fluttering across his face.

"That's a strange question."

"I know."

"Where did it come from?"

She shrugged, "I'm not sure. I've been thinking about it and I can't help but wonder if things would be different. Carson blames us for Mom dying in childbirth. Would things be different if we never did that? If she had lived?"

"I don't know," he mulled the thought over, "Maybe, but the way I see it, our father would have found a way to be the person he is. There's no changing someone like that," he paused, frowning, "Do I think Mom would've protected us better than me?—another maybe. But I don't think our lives would be much different."

"Oh."

"Our experience has also made us the people we are today," he continued, "If I could go back and choose our parents, I would, but I can't, so I might as well find some light in the dark. If Mom were here, we might have grown up to resent each other. We might not be as close. I don't think I could live in a reality where my other half was only there on paper."

Rayne nodded at his words, finding a diverse type of resolution within them than the one she was seeking.

"I agree. I still miss the idea of having a Mom, as selfish as that is. It would be nice to have someone who biologically understands me."