𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

RAYNE SPENT TWENTY MINUTESconsoling Rueben until he gently asked her for space

consoling Rueben until he gently asked her for space. She had managed to get a few pieces of information from him about what occurred during the interrogation, and now that she was knowledgeable and out of his sight, she had one goal in mind. 

She was going to rip the Chief a new one.

Rayne rounded the corner and it was as if she had asked her wishes and nightmares to combine. Arguing in the middle of the lobby, like a pair of teenagers, were Jonah and Emmet. The former stood with one hand resting on his taser, while the latter pushed his luck by jabbing his finger in his face.

Her eyes landed on Isaac and Mason, both bedridden to the plastic chairs—only this time, their attentions were occupied by the embarrassment and frustration lining their cheeks, rather than the video games hidden on their phones.

And if she were being honest, she could be just as mortified by these grown-ass men.

But she consumed her annoyance and nerves and ambled in, not stopping until she was a safe foot away from their increasingly animated disagreement. It was the last way she pictured spending her evening, but if breaking it up meant she could leave this wretched place, then so be it.

"Who the hell made you Chief?" Emmet cursed, "You're the worst cop in the county!—what idiot arrests someone because of a personal vendetta?"

"Get out of my face before I arrest you, too," Jonah countered.

"For what, stupid?" he scoffed, "You couldn't get a record to stick to me if you begged on your knees for it. The more you attempt to flaunt your governmental powers, the more pathetic you look. I outrank you—"

"That's enough," Rayne interrupted.

Both men paused mid-sentence to glance at her as if she were nothing more than a bug. Lucky for them, she was too tired to dissect their blatant misogyny for the second time tonight.

"Emmet, go home or something," she waved him off, "Jonah, I need to talk to you."

"Go home?—" Emmet replied first, "I get that we came to a consensus earlier, but you can't just march around me like you're my boss—"

"Leave!" she gritted through her teeth.

As soon as the word left her lips, she regretted it. The last thing she wanted to do was stoop to their level of aggression and idiocy, but she was only running on an hour of sleep—she couldn't help it. And upon seeing the surprised faces of the two men, it was needed.

"She's scary for someone so tiny," Jonah said under his breath.

"For once we can agree," Emmet nodded.

Emmet spun on his heel and walked to the boys, giving them what she hoped was a quick goodbye. A shadow of a smile crossed her cheeks as Jonah rounded his undivided attention to her; that was two wins in one night.