Chapter 11:- Two Things Intertwined

-~*~-

Arriving back at the centre of the street, Irene waves her hand and call them over. "I found something that would pique your interest." She waves her hand to an old lady who seems to be waiting near some of the police and away from the case area. "Ma'am, thank you for willing to cooperate with us." She smiles sweetly but there is a hint of sadness in them.

Yanyi notices this and crouches in front of her, gently stroking her hand. "Ma'am is there something wrong? You can tell us. We will try and do our best to help you." Her smile faded slowly and tears slowly fall from her face. She converses while weeping, "My daughter... She was supposed to be back from her work at dawn today... But she didn't come back." They looked at each other and back to the old lady with pity and guilt.

"Can you tell us more? Anything that you've heard or see last night?" Irene caressed her back comforting her. After a period of waiting, she spoke, "Last night it was a bright night... But suddenly there was a dense fog... I open the window to see and I heard a lot of screams... I want to go and check it out but I can't go down because of my age." Luyao keep this in for consideration. He then said, "Don't worry ma'am. As the Inspector of the Police Department, I assure you that we will find your daughter."

The old lady was slowly brought back to her abode by some citizens. Considering that everything is done in this area, Luyao calls for the normal procedure. "Bring the body back for postmortem. Some of you stay here and guard this place. Make sure that no one is in without our consent." Those that were on duty salute him and get back to tasks.

Everyone else is already ready to go back to the apartment, all except Yanyi. Seeing that she didn't budge from the crime scene, Luyao told Irene and Kazu to go ahead. He slowly approaches Yanyi, "You're not going back?" He asks seriously. Yanyi flinched a bit but keep her composure. "You can go ahead. I just need to see some more. It's nothing special." Even if Yanyi says these word, Luyao didn't move from his spot.

"I have a favour to ask you?" Yanyi looked at him from the corner of her eyes. "I have seen Kazu use his Signias before, care to let me see yours?" He asks like it was normal even though they only know each other for less than a month. "What's in it for me?" Not wanting to turn it down, Yanyi asks for a deal. "I pay for your dinner next time."

"All of our dinner." She emphasized. Luyao looked at her confused but soon it hits him. The news of her being here spread like wildfire. It makes sense that the news of her eating together with a boy alone would spread across the Empire the same. No one wants their head on the chopping block, do they? "Fine, after the case is solved I'll treat everyone to dinner."

She smiled sweetly. A smile that rarely crosses her face. But it immediately turns to a frown. Outside of the police tape, she noticed some loose tiles all of which had been misplaced or contract on their own. "As far as I know, the tiles had just been changed two days ago. For it to contract this quickly, it is almost impossible. Unless..." Luyao who at this point have been reading a lot of books to expand his knowledge of chemistry responded. "They use dry ice to shrink it. This must be unintentional."

She looked at him with a delightfully surprised look. "Wow, Inspector Chen. I didn't know that you would study Chemistry so suddenly." She mocks and compliments him at the same time. "Seeing that I am an Inspector, being knowledgable is essential. Besides if you suddenly feel ill, how would all three of us continue the case."

"Aww, it is so nice to know that you care for me." Her sadism slowly shows her personality. But it faded away slowly. In a quiet and humble tone, she said. "Thank you." Luyao's face which could only show a few expression turn his cheeks slightly pinky tint. An awkward moment fills the two and Yanyi is the one who breaks it. "Well, we can't just stand here all day now, can we." He gave a nervous laugh and move to the side, giving some room for Yanyi to first.