Finding Family: The Rise of Voltron

"I'm Keith, pilot of the black lion," I look away from the camera, "What should I say?" I tilt my head back and look at the ceiling, "I'm a paladin, I fly the black lion," then I realized I just repeated myself, "I-I said that already, see that's why I'm bad at this. What else am I supposed to tell you," I stare at the camera as I cross my arms, squinting a little as the light above seems a little brighter for a second.

I sigh as I shake my head to clear it, lately it's just been a jumbled mess. Being a black paladin, the leader of Voltron, is very tiering. You have to have about ten things on your mind at once, being able to stop an argument from escalating, or trying to make sure nobody gets killed (again), or memorize several plans at once with all details. It's tiering, and I am tired of it, but Pidge wanted us to make a vlog about our lives as Voltron paladins. Where do I start at? There are several things that need to be said, several things that can be shared, and I can't think about where to begin.

I shake my head as I look back at the camera, not realizing that I have been staring at my lap, "I'm just going to start from the beginning, restart this vlog without actually restarting it because we don't have time for that," I shrug my shoulders as I cross my arms.

I let a yawn out, realizing that I was doing this at an ungodly hour, but I don't have time to do this any other time of the day and I know that Pidge is getting restless with me being the last person to do this stupid vlog. Also, I just can't seem to get any sleep. I shake my head again as I stare back at the camera.

"My name is Keith Akira Yorak Kogane. I have four names because my dad wanted Keith as my first name, Akira because that was his father's name, Yorak because of what my mother wanted, and Kogane because that's my family name."

I have to take a second. I may have never met my father personally, but my parents were aware that their line of work could kill one of them, so they both made several videos. I could not forget my father's face if I could. I clench my fists over my arms. I'm getting off track, I need to focus on this stupid vlog. I look back at the camera, watching the red-light blink for a second before I begin.

"I guess the great place to begin this vlog, is from the beginning..."

I wasn't always a paladin of Voltron. I wasn't always a defender of the universe. I wasn't always an older brother to some, and a younger brother to others. I wasn't always part of some legend that has been around for more than 10,000 years. I wasn't always who I am today.

In the beginning, before I really knew anything, I was an innocent child with both my parents who were part of things that were bigger than themselves. My father was an astounding pilot on Earth, the best of the best. Breaking records and making his own records left and right that never got beaten, only getting better, but he wasn't arrogant, and didn't just want to be a pilot for the fame or the money, though the money was a nice bonus. No, he always liked flying because it made him feel free. He wasn't just a pilot, he was a fighter, an instructor, teacher, friend, brother, a chef, a crush, a lover. He was just an amazing man all around.

My mother was also an astounding pilot, not as good as my dad, but she was pretty good. She was more of a fighter, and a shooter, one of the best in many galaxies. Oh, I guess I should mention she's an alien. Half Galran, half something else. I don't know on which side of the family she got her genes, but she is who she is. She has a great poker face too; can beat you and she wouldn't even twitch her mouth to smile in victory. She is pretty well taught in being able to control quintessence, being able to use it in either a fight that will give her an advantage, or being able to just play around with it.