Epilogue

Once everything was out in the open between Jessica and I, the healing really started to begin. It wasn't always easy, but we were able to become friends again. Garrett didn't have to be in the middle anymore, which he was thrilled about. He was fiercely loyal to both of us, as well as Dex, it had been a terrible place for him to be. I thanked Garrett for being there for Jessica when I couldn't. He and I were able to talk more openly about Dex after that.

It took a few months, but eventually Tessa and I agreed to meet each other face to face. We had our first meeting on neutral ground at Sandra and Murray's house. It was incredibly awkward at first. We didn't say much to each other beyond the pleasantries. We didn't bring our sons with us, our mothers came with us instead. After that meeting, we exchanged phone numbers and texted back and forth. It was cautious at first but over time we became friendlier. Eventually we brought our sons to the park to play together. Tessa and I hadn't decided how we were going to explain it to them, but eventually we would tell them they were brothers.

Tessa and I arranged for our boys to play together every week, she often brought Elliot over to my house. Mitchell and her became friends as well. He was good with Elliot the same way he was good with Finn. At first I was a bit jealous, but I tried to think better of it. I knew Mitchell wasn't like Dex, I knew he just wanted to know his nephew and include him in our family.

It was coming up on Finn's first birthday when Mitchell woke me up before dawn. I yawned but kept my eyes closed as he rubbed my stomach, "Baby, wake up. You need to see this." I blinked my eyes slowly as I forced myself to wake. He stared down at me with a smile on his face. I peered up at him and moaned softly.

"What is it?" I whispered. He took my hand and pulled me to get up and follow him. I let MIchell pull me up to his chest and followed him out of the bedroom, down the hall to Finn's room. I saw my son standing up in his crib, he was staring at us. As we walked into the room he held his hands up and softly cooed, "Da! Da!"

I pulled my hand up to cover my mouth, his first word had been 'Da'. Mitchell walked up next to the crib and lifted Finn up into his arms. As Mitchell held him close I grabbed the t-shirt quilt from our bed and wrapped us all up in it. The sun was just starting to peek in through the window shades as my little family cuddled up together. As I stood there, full of warmth I was moved by how happy I actually was. My life hadn't turned out at all the way I'd planned, but I was grateful for moments that tore my heart to pieces. It meant I could patch it back together.

THE END