【零贰】ASHER WAS IMPATIENT

chapter 2.
asher was impatient

ASHER WAS IMPATIENT.

Not only had he been dragged to this stupid frat party, but his friends had also forced him into being the designated driver. It wasn't like he planned on drinking that night, but there were a million other things he'd rather do than babysit his stupid friends.

It wasn't even midnight and yet somehow, they were all trashed already. Asher shoved his way through the crowd, desperately trying to keep his eyes on the back of Jayden's head. He knew that man was up to no good. Drunk Jayden liked to pick fights.

"Jayden, get back here!" Asher yelled pointlessly as his voice got carried away by the music. The crowd pushed him back, and soon, Asher lost sight of Jayden. Scowling, he stopped in his tracks and headed towards the counter for some water. "I swear to fucking god," he muttered, digging his hands into his pockets angrily. "Get beat up for all I care."

Asher didn't particularly like parties. He didn't like the way strangers pressed against him, or the way everyone smelled like alcohol, or the way the trashy music thumped against his chest. Faces blurred past him, and the nonstop noise tested his patience. Everything made him feel on edge.

He really couldn't see the appeal as he stood at the counter, eyeing the crowd and brushing off the strangers that stumbled into him.

"Hey Asher," Brian greeted a few minutes later as he came to lean on the counter next to Asher.

"Oh hey," Asher took a sip from his water and looked at the party host.

"Thanks for coming. I really didn't think you would."

"Me neither."

"You don't look like you're having fun," Brian laughed.

"I'm not."

"Ouch," Brian winced, placing a hand on his heart. "You're hurting my feelings, man."

"Yeah whatever," Asher sighed. "Have you seen Jayden?"

"Oh, I think he was throwing up near the pool table."

"Fuck," Asher muttered, setting his cup down and pushing himself off the counter. "I'll catch you later, okay?"

Without waiting for a response, Asher returned to the sea of drunken college students, trying not to snap whenever someone bumped into him. Who the hell enjoyed this kind of socialization? Asher could barely hear himself think.

Out of nowhere, a hand reached out and pulled him to the side.

"Hey," a female voice shouted into his ear as he stumbled into the window light. "Is my friend hot?"

Confused and annoyed, Asher glared at his attacker before looking across at who she was pointing at.

The moonlight traced the figure of a girl leaning against the window, the tips of her wavy black hair gleaming by just the slightest. She had her arms crossed and when she met his gaze, her cold eyes and cold smile made Asher feel like she was looking down on him.

"Uh," he started. Questions like this were another reason why he hated parties. Who the fuck asks something like that out of the blue? Besides, it was a trick question. Either way, he would've sounded like an absolute prick. Glancing back and forth between the two friends, he mustered, "Yeah, she looks a little hot. Maybe you can ask them to turn on the AC."

The girl in front of him raised her eyebrows and the coldness in her smile slipped away by just the slightest. Asher was still looking at her when the girl who held him captive by the collar of his shirt snapped into his ear, "Are you stupid or something?" And then she shoved him aside, back into the sea of sweaty monsters.

Discarded, Asher stumbled and unwillingly grabbed someone's sweaty arm for support. Briefly apologizing to the stranger and wiping his hands on the side of his shirt, he scowled, "Crazy bitch."

This is why he hated parties.

He shook his head and continued making his way to the pool table, where Jayden, of course, was nowhere to be seen. Tired and frustrated, Asher angrily ran his hands through his hair. His legs were tired. His shirt was wet with some kind of liquid. His shoes were sticky against the alcohol-stained ground. He closed his eyes and leaned against the wall.

"Asher!" Nick yelled from the other side of the pool table. He approached Asher and clapped him on the back, nearly making him choke from the force.

"Hey Nick," Asher sighed.

"You havin' fun?" Nick yelled, his naturally loud voice booming over the music.

Asher stared at his friend, deadpanned. "You guys dragged me here." 

"It's not like you had anything better to do."

"I was – "

"Playing League doesn't count."

"Careful what you say," Asher shot back. "I'm not hauling your drunk ass back home if you piss me off."

Nick raised his hands in mock surrender and took a large sip from his cup, "Just sayin'." The man's face was already beat red from the alcohol.

Asher crossed his arms and looked out the window. He was just about to respond to Nick's judgmental comment, when he did a double take and looked out the window once again.

"You're fucking kidding me," he cursed.

"Jeez, no need to get aggressive. If I'm sober enough, we can play League when we get back – "

"Shut up," Asher cut in, grabbing Nick's drunken face and looking him dead in the eye. "Stay here. Don't drink anymore. Oh, and there's cake on your face."

Patting Nick's back three times, Asher made his departure.