【零肆】IN THE SHADE

chapter 4.
in the shade

"QUIZ TOMORROW. Homework due Thursday," the professor called out as students began to pack up.

Reagan closed her laptop and shoved everything inside her bag. Slinging it over her shoulder, she stood and waited for Kate, who took her sweet time packing with one hand and texting with the other.

"Ben asked me out again," Kate said.

Reagan nodded.

"I already turned him down once. I feel bad saying no again, but he's just so boring," Kate went on as they began to leave the lecture hall. "Last time we hung out, he wouldn't shut up about Marvel comics, which I mean is totally cool. I love the movies and whatever, but he literally would not stop talking about it!"

Reagan gave a small laugh as they exited the science building. She held up a hand to shield her eyes from the scorching sun.

Kate continued, "All I said was, the Spider-man movie was great, and this man goes on a whole rant about the Marvel franchise. Granted, he did pay for the meal and was so nice – like, literally the nicest person ever. So sweet. So kind. But do I really want to see him again?"

"No?" Reagan offered.

"No! Besides, I have a date with Grace tomorrow, and she knows how to entertain me, if you know what I mean," Kate winked.

Reagan smiled in response.

"Anyways, I'm going to the darkroom. I'll see you soon, Reagan! Kisses!" Kate blew Reagan a kiss before speeding away.

Reagan continued on her way.

Kate's open personality was a hit or miss for Reagan. Most days, she enjoyed it. She liked how Kate could fill the silence anywhere, any time. She was one of Reagan's first friends in college and for some reason, still stuck around. She smiled like sunshine and bounced with bubbles in her step.

But on Reagan's off days, she found Kate's brightness insufferable. She chattered on when Reagan needed silence. She hugged when Reagan needed distance. Sometimes, Reagan had intrusive thoughts about ways to shut her up, but of course, she would never act upon or voice this, even when her patience ran out.

But then again, Reagan's off days came and went without anyone knowing. 

Rounding the corner, she was met with familiar voices.

"You asshole!" Molly's voice rang through the air. Heads, including Reagan's, turned to see what was going on.

Molly sat at a shaded table with her laptop and homework laid out, violently waving her arms at some guy standing over her.

"Calm the hell down!" the guy yelled back.

Reagan approached slowly, assessing the situation as she came to stand behind her friend. "Hello," she said, announcing her presence.

"Reagan!" Molly called. "Do you remember him? This ugly oaf? Did he or did he not hit on me last night?!"

"Ugly oaf – " the guy Reagan recognized as Jayden started.

"Yeah," she said.

"See!" Molly waved an accusing finger at Jayden. "He says he doesn't remember me!"

"No, I just didn't recognize you at first!" Jayden shouted back. "Stop twisting my words! I was also drunk out of my mind last night and – "

"What's going on?" a new voice interrupted.