【拾壹】THE FLUFFY CLOUDS

chapter 11.
the fluffy clouds

FOR THE REST of the afternoon, Reagan stayed beneath the shade. She had put on a T-shirt again, lounging on the beach chair with her sunglasses on and arms crossed.

Asher joined her after a bit, quietly taking the seat beside her. For the past 2 hours, he had thought of a million ways to apologize, but for some reason still came up empty. He opened his mouth and closed it again, unsure of what exactly to say.

But after hearing the soft sound of her breathing for a few moments, he realized she had fallen asleep.

He stared at her, noticing the rhythmic rise and fall of her chest. Her head drooped to the side, a single strand of hair falling across her face.

Asher wanted to reach out and brush it out of the way, but he was scared she'd wake up. He was scared she'd look at him with those cold eyes and push him away again. So he stayed silent and just watched the serenity that surrounded her sleeping form.

Asher took it upon himself to stand guard for her. He repositioned the umbrella whenever the sun moved its shade away. He caught every beach ball that flew their way before it could hit her. He scared off the seagulls when they got too close.

In her sleep, she looked so vulnerable. He wondered what she was dreaming about.

Reagan nodded awake about an hour later. She sat up and yawned, taking in her surroundings before her gaze landed on Asher.

"How long was I out?" she said, her voice coated with sleep.

"A few hours," he said. He held up her water bottle, "Here."

"Thanks," she said, taking a drink. She sighed and leaned back in her seat, staring straight ahead.

An uncomfortable silence settled between them. Reagan showed no signs of distress, but Asher couldn't stop fidgeting and darting his eyes back to her every few seconds. Hidden behind her sunglasses, Asher could only imagine the distance and emptiness in her dark eyes.

So they sat and stared out at the sea together. Molly and Jayden had begun digging sand graves for each other, their shrieks of laughter carrying through the beach winds.

After a few moments, Asher caved. "Hey, you want to go on the ferris wheel?" he broke the silence.

She tilted her head to look over at him. "And ditch them?"

Asher shrugged, "They'll be fine."

So they made their way to the ferris wheel, walking silently along the boardwalk until they reached the ticket booth. They climbed into their carriage, only to be caught in more silence. Asher, who never had difficulty talking to Reagan, suddenly didn't know what to say. He hated this.

He stared at her from across the box. She sat idly against the edge, resting her head on her hand as she stared out the window. She always looked so deep in thought. So lost in her own world, bored with whatever this mortal world had to offer. It was killing him that he couldn't get through to her.

The sun was setting. Streaks of orange and gold decorated the sky, spilling into their little box and filling it with warmth.

"Reagan," he finally said.

She turned to look at him. Her cold stare sent shivers down his spine.

"Are you upset?"

She blinked, "Why would I be upset?"