Chapter Thirteen - Argument

The sun has almost settled down when Naveesha decided to leave to her home. She had taken lunch in her friend's home and the time had not seemed to fly by to the two friends as they were catching up after a long time. Naveesha had a nice time enjoying the day with her friend and as she was leaving the home she came to a stop as she heard Hashini call her name again.

"Navee, Navee! Wait a minute please," Hashini was out of breath and was standing at the door holding her chest.

She had turned her back to Naveesha bidding good bye and had gone to the kitchen to have a cup of water when she suddenly remembered the chocolates in the refrigerator and had called out to her friend who had already taken a few steps away from the home.

Naveesha turned and walked towards the home again wondering what her best friend had to say after all the time spent together.

"Yes Hashi, why did you call me again?" Naveesha asked biting back the laughter that was trying to jump out of her lips.

"Give me a second," Hashini said and went inside again.

Naveesha stood by the door wondering what had become of her friend to suddenly act so mysteriously.

"Here take this," Hashini had come back while Naveesha was lost in thought and placed a bag of chocolates in her hand. By the look of it, it did not look like local chocolates and Naveesha looked at Hashini her face puzzled.

"My brother came home last week," she explained.

"He studied abroad and worked there for a few years and he came home for good. So, that's why, I saved some chocolates for you from my share. I thought to give it to you earlier, but I forgot." Hashini smiled sheepishly. Naveesha smiled.

"Thanks Hashi," she nodded and bid good bye again and made way to her home.

* * *

Thenushi was home at last. She had spent a long day with her lovely uncle and had come home late in the evening to see her mother sitting alone on the sofa looking at the walls. Though her eyes were concentrated on the walls it looked as though she was lost in thought in some far away distance. Thenu walked towards her and she called her mother.

"Amma," she called. Anu did not hear her.

"Amma," Thenu repeated again shaking by her shoulder. This time it worked.

"Ah," Anu said coming out of her lost track of thoughts.

"Putha, did you come?" she asked. Thenu smiled.

"How was Yasas?" Anu asked eager to know about her little brother.

Thenu smiled looking at her mother. She knew that however old she will be, she will never miss the smile and the glint in her eye whenever she asks about her little brother.

"He is good amma, he was ecstatic today," Thenu smiled as she remembered her the happiness in her uncle's eyes.

"He had not expected to see me early in the morning, his expression when he knew that it was his birthday was a sight to see amma," Thenu continued as she saw her mother's happy smile grow on her face.

"You should have come too amma, ayya would have been happy," Thenu finished as Anu nodded.

"Yes putha, I should visit him, maybe I'll give him a visit tomorrow, I would have come today, but you know how they will manage without either one of us in the home right?" Anu said pointing inside the home and Thenu nodded.

For the first time since she came home Thenu realized that the home was deadly silent. She wondered what had caused such a long silence as she knew that her little sister was always used to hum to a tuneless song whenever she was inside.