Chapter 39

Massimo

"Good. You're awake," Marco said coldly.

"What happened?" I stammered out. Fuck. My head fucking hurts like hell.

"You deserve that and more," he said.

"What the hell is your problem?" I growled.

"Great," he muttered. "You don't even remember what you did do you? you don't even remember what happened last night?"

My head was pounding. I tried to think about what he was saying. Then an image of Arabella came to mind.

My heart twisted in pain.

I remember.

I remember her face. The concern in her eyes. Then the horrible things I said.

Mio dio! What have I done?

The pain and dread on her eyes were so clear and vivid.

"Arabella..." I whispered brokenly.

"Oh good. You remember," Marco said bitterly.

"I have to go to her," I said as I stood up.

"Yeah good luck. You didn't see the way she looked man. Damn it, Massimo."

"I know. I hurt her deeply. I have to make this right."

I didn't even bother to wait for his reply. I rushed out of there and headed home. I pray to God, that Arabella is there at home. And I hope to god, she listens to me and let me explain.

Fuck. It was our wedding anniversary yesterday. Cassie and I married 4 years ago. I just wanted to go to her grave and be alone with her. I wanted her to know that I haven't forgotten about her even though I have moved on. I just wanted... God. I felt so guilty, that's why I drank. I just wanted to feel numb.

Oh god. What have I done?

I dialled Arabella's cell - which is a lost cost, since I know for sure that she wouldn't answer my call.

I got her voicemail.

Merda!

"Arabella... cara... I'm on my way home. Please just let me explain everything. Sweetheart, please," I begged.

Then I listened to my messages.

Her voice greets me.

"Hey honey. Just wondering where you are? We're waiting for you."

"Hey honey. I'm really worried please call me. I love you."

"EJ please, honey? Please call me back. I love you."

"Mass, I don't know what's going on, but please call me. I love you, honey."

Tears welled up in my eyes.

What have I done?

I love you.

I love you.

I love you.

Her words rang in my head over and over again.

***

I walk into the front door, just as Evelyn walks into the foyer.

She's looking at me with disapproval in her eyes, but she doesn't say anything.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but I have to know.

"Is she here?"

She nodded. "She's with Lia in the playroom," she said pointing into the hallway.