Chapter 3

Agatha and Sophie were sitting at their table with Dot. They both agreed that they would discuss the book later. So, for now, they were pretending that everything was normal.

All of a sudden, Agatha heard a bunch of yelling. She looked up from her food. The football team had burst into the cafeteria, they were all tossing a ball to each other.

Bunch of hormonal apes, she thought.

One more boy stepped out from behind them.

Hair a halo of celestial gold, eyes as blue as a cloudless sky, skin the color of hot desert sand, he glistened with a noble sheen, as if his blood ran purer than the rest.

Agatha hoped he'd break his neck.

''Who's that?'', she asked, disgusted.

''That's Tedros Pendragon'', whispered Dot. She giggled. ''Sophie's in love with him''

Agatha turned to see her best friend, who was desperately trying to get Tedros' attention. But he was busy tossing the ball with his friends.

''Turn yourself into a mirror. Then you'll have a chance''.

Sophie swiveled to see Hester, who was now sitting beside her.

Sophie scoffed. ''Give it a rest, Hester''.

Hester just shrugged and went back to eating her food.

Agatha did so too. But there was something in the back of her mind that didn't let her focus. She felt like she'd seen him somewhere before. There was something about him that she just couldn't put her finger on.

Suddenly, a ball fell in her lap. Agatha looked up to see the whole cafeteria staring at her. Then she saw the boy, staring at her, with his ball in her hands.

Agatha had never been so happy to hear the lunch bell ring.

Everyone left the cafeteria, including her. She left the ball on the table for him to take, and left.

A few of Tedros' football mates stared at her in the hallway. Agatha felt the back of her neck turn red as she scurried away to get out of there.

Before she knew it, school was over, and she was driving home with Sophie.

Sophie's hands gripped the steering wheel tightly. They were both thinking about the book. As soon as they reached Agatha's house, the girls ran to her room and locked the door behind them.

Sophie pulled the book out of Agatha's bag and set it down on her bed. The girls inspected it closely.

''It just looks like an ordinary book'', remarked Sophie, after a few minutes.

''But it's not. I think we should try to open it again''.

Agatha shook her head. ''No. We don't know what it can do. We should just examine it from the outside''.

Sophie pulled out her cellphone and started typing something into it.

''What are you doing?'' asked Agatha, trying to look at what she was typing.

''I'm writing down whatever we know about it''.

''The fact that it glows is pretty much the only thing we know about it''.

''No'', said Sophie.''It isn't''

''What do you mean?''

''You seriously didn't see it?'' asked Sophie, looking at Agatha.

''See what?''

The blonde sighed and turned the book over. '' See? It's right there''.

Agatha couldn't make it out at first, but soon, she saw that the doodles on the book were actually words.