Chapter 7

Sophie stood as far away from the shelves as she could, desperately trying not to touch anything.

She silently shuddered, scanning her surroundings.

Sophie was back in the library, clutching a bag to her chest, which was an unfamiliar shade of khaki brown, and obviously didn't belong to her.

She glanced around, making sure that she was alone, before opening the bag, and bringing out a clothed bundle, placing it on the ground.

Suddenly, the door burst open.

The coven strode in, with Agatha following them, shutting the door behind them.

Sophie sighed.

''I almost thought you weren't coming'' she exclaimed, relieved.

''Well, we're here now'' said Agatha. ''Let's show it to them''.

Hester glared at the two girls.

''If I find out that you  two are trying to pull something on us, I will-''

''Someone's particularly angry today'', noted Dot, interrupting Hester's threat.

Dot took a big bite out of her bar of chocolate, ignoring Hester who was glaring daggers at her.

Agatha rolled her eyes, and reached for the bundle, and pulled the cloth off.

It fell away, to reveal the book.

Hester and Anadil rolled their eyes, obviously unimpressed.

Dot, however, gazed at it in awe.

''Open it already'' the albino stated impatiently.

Agatha looked up at Sophie, who nodded at her.

She swiftly pulled the cover open.

A bright light filled the library, streaming steadily out of the book.

Dot's chocolate fell to the ground

Anadil's  jaw dropped, while Hester's eyes bulged out of their sockets in shock.

The three stared at the glow, mesmerised.

Sophie was too, but then, she caught something out of the corner of her eye.

It was the butterfly!

The butterfly was flitting around, near the ceiling.

There was no doubt that it was the same one. Sophie recognized the familiar blue.

She looked back at the others, who were busy looking at the book. They hadn't noticed the butterfly.

Sophie sneakily edged away from them, following the butterfly, which was now heading out of a window.

She silently opened the door, stepping softly, before breaking out into a run.

She sprinted through the hallways, but still couldn't see it.

A few students gave her curious looks.

After all, they had never seen Sophie run, let alone in heels. It was a wonder that she hadn't fallen flat on her face already.

She ignored their shocked expressions, glancing at a flash of blue outside the building.

Sophie ran like a mad woman, stumbling down the stairs and all the way outside.

The butterfly was flying away, towards the parking lot.

Sophie followed it, tripping over her heels, but quickly regaining her composure.

Just as she was about to catch up with it, a car drove up, blocking her path.

Sophie stopped, shell shocked.

The car had almost run her over!

The door opened, a manicured hand holding it open.

A woman stepped out, clad in an elegant blue suit.

Sophie came up to her.

''I'm sorry for stepping in front of your car'' she said apologetically. ''I wasn't looking at where I was going''

The woman smiled at Sophie.

''It's alright, there's no harm done''

Although the woman was smiling, Sophie could see no warmth behind her eyes.

In fact, it was as if the woman was glaring at her.

But this wasn't what surprised Sophie.

It was the fact that the butterfly was heading back. It was flying right in her direction.

The woman smiled coldly again, looking at Sophie.

''May I ask who you are?'' she inquired.

Sophie gave the woman a tight smile.

''Sophie. I'm Sophie Woods. Why do you need to know?''

The butterfly was hovering right above the woman's head now. It slowly landed on her hair, snuggling in, until it looked like a decorative hairpin.

She gave Sophie a fake laugh, before meeting her eyes.

''Because I'm your substitute history teacher, dear''.

She smiled again.

''The name's Evelyn Sader''