Chapter Ten, Dean and Simone's Birthday

Ever since the love of his life died Dean hated the 24th January, his birthday, but as a father he still celebrated it and Simone's birthday which was nearly a month after Dean's for Amélie's sake. Dean would not deprive his daughter of learning about her mother like he and Sam had been deprived. Instead they go to the cemetery with a bouquet of roses and light two candles in front of Simone's grave, afterwards they'd have a Daddy-daughter day.
"Happy birthday Daddy." Amélie shouted, jumping on to Dean's bed and jarring him from his thoughts as his precious bundle of joy jumped up and down on the bed Coco in hand with giggles tumbling past her wide, beaming smile.
"Careful my little monkey, you don't want to fall off the bed and bump your head." Dean said laughing, as he scooped Amélie into his arms as she giggled.

"Silly Daddy I'm not a monkey." Amélie laughed, snuggling closer to her Daddy and pecking his cheek. "Love you Daddy."
"I love you too, munchkin. What shall we do today after seeing Mummy and lighting her candles?" Dean asked, laying back against the pillows and holding his daughter close on his lap.
"And roses Daddy." Amélie reminded her Daddy.
"And roses, thank you baby." Dean smiled.
"Fort, scooby and cuddle?" Amélie asked, looking up at her Daddy.
"Of course we can baby." Dean agreed, smiling at her and kissing her forehead. He loved building and laying in a fort with his daughter and watching Scooby-doo, of course he'd been the one to start it but Amélie loved it, and that's all he wanted. His daughter's happiness.

After cuddling and having tickle fights, and bowls of coco pops in bed it was finally time to get up. Dean changed into black jeans, a black T-shirt and his brown leather jacket and brown boots. He then changed Amélie into a pair of black leggings, a black jumper, a grey beanie, her grey rabbit coat and brown boots to match his own.
"Let's go and get Mummy some roses." Dean said, picking Amélie up and settling him on her hip.
"Where are you going?" Sam asked, looking up from his laptop as Dean picked up his keys.
"Fowers for Mummy." Amélie said, her head on Dean's shoulder.
"But I have a case." Sam started.
"NO!" Amélie shouted. "It's Daddy's birthday and Mummy's!" A wind picked up and the windows and cups started rattling.

"Hey. Hey, hey, shhh. It's okay baby. Everything is okay. We're going to go see Mummy and then when we come back we're going to build a fort and watch Scooby-doo like we planned." Dean said soothingly, running his fingers through her hair successfully calming her down.
"What was that?" Sam asked, shocked.
"Are you really surprised?" Dean asked. "You're still practically a stranger to her, even after your speech you've made no effort with her. Thanks for the birthday wishes by the way. Now, if you don't mind we are going to buy some roses and visit Simone. You can go on that case if you want or be here for us when we need you for a change. It's up to you." Dean said, giving Sam a look as he picked up the keys to the Impala and left.

***

After stopping in the flower shop and purchasing their usual order of red roses, Dean and Amélie made their way to the cemetery in the middle of the French Quarter, Amélie carefully holding both the roses and Coco as she walked in front of Dean who was keeping a very close eye on her and his surroundings. He will not take any chances where his daughter is concerned. After they'd left their home Dean had gotten a call from Bobby and Cassie wishing him a happy birthday and giving them their thoughts as they knew what he and Amélie do for his birthday every year and how hard it was for them. Just like how Charles and Claudette always come round with a chicken casserole to have dinner with them every year, and then on Simone's birthday Dean and Amélie go round to Charles and Claudette's where they all make cookies with Amélie.

Arriving at the Dubois part of the cemetery Dean and Amélie stopped in front of a white square headstone on the side of the Dubois mausoleum, that read:

Here lies Simone Rowena Dubois
Loving daughter, mother and fiancée
13th February 1980 - 22nd September 2002

Dean smiled sadly as Amélie placed the red roses below the headstone while he lit the two candles.
"Happy birthday baby, we miss you so much and love you just as much. You would be so proud of Amélie. She's amazing just like her mother and I know you're always watching over us, over her. I'll do right by her and by you, I promise." He kissed two of his fingers and pressed them to the headstone wiping away his tears.
"You do Daddy. You're the bwest." Amélie beamed, as Dean picked her up and set her on his hip holding her close.
"Thank you sweetie." Dean said, kissing her head.
"I miss you Mummy and I love you so much. I wook after Daddy." Amélie said, kissing her hand and touching the headstone.

The pair stayed in the cemetery for a while as Amélie spoke to her mother, telling her all of the things they've been up to while Dean smiled sadly. He wished his baby girl didn't know what it was like to be without her mother, but unfortunately that was the cards they had been dealt with, but he would be forever thankful to still have one of his girls with him.

 He wished his baby girl didn't know what it was like to be without her mother, but unfortunately that was the cards they had been dealt with, but he would be forever thankful to still have one of his girls with him