Chapter Five

Heather's POV

"OH MY GOSH, TELEPORTATION EXISTS!"

I got up from the couch quickly, not bothering to clean up the crisps that fell when I stood up. They were crumbled around the cream carpet, as well as the half-empty jar of Nutella, candy wrappers, the oily pizza box and a couple of crisp bags.

"Wha?" Beth said from behind me, making me squeal in response. That girl really needs to stop coming up behind me or I might die of a heart attack.

"I fell asleep on that couch," I said, holding out both my arms towards the couch I fell asleep on, then moving them towards the other one. "then woke up on that one. I must have special powers."

"Yeah. Me moving you to the other couch so I can watch White Chicks must be pretty special, huh?" Beth joked, Winking her right eye. Well. It really didn't look like winking. It looked like she was having a seizure.

"Oh, what a beautiful little chocolate man!" I said, copying one of the lines from White Chicks.

"Okay, okay. Now go make me food, woman! Do your duty!" She said, pointing towards the kitchen before sitting down on the couch I fell asleep on.

"Haha, you said duty," I giggled, getting a laugh out of Beth.

"Ugh, there's nothing good on," Beth said, flipping through the hundreds of channels available. "I'll just help you cook." She sighed, sitting up from the couch and dragging herself towards the kitchen.

Once I took my first step I remembered why I couldn't walk before; the cuts all over my legs. Luckily Beth was behind me, and grabbed hold of my shoulders before I could fall.

"Here's your crutches," Beth said, reaching with her free hand to the crutches that rested on the side of the couch. I slipped them under my arms right after she handed me them.

As I made my way into the kitchen, the counters were still a mess; pop cans and empty soda bottles that needed to be recycled still sat there. This was going to take a while.

Beth's POV

It took about an hour, but even in her condition Heather managed to help clean a little and cook breakfast for the both of us. I know she's strong, she rolls with the punches.

But seeing her in that state of shock and sadness when Harry came back, it hurt me too. I wasn't as good of friends with Harry as Heather was, I only ever talked to him a few times. Me and Heather's relationship was never as strong as theirs was; until he left. He left her at the worst possible time.

I was the only one left for her. Her only shoulder to cry on, her only secret keeper. I knew I couldn't leave her alone when Bella passed, so I begged my mum for over a month to come and live with her. And with me constantly around for the past six months, our friendship grew greatly.

She actually started calling me her best friend, then soon her sister. Her calling me her sister meant the most to me though; knowing that she lost her's as horrible as she did. But it was how we got along together that really made our relationship stronger, how we could make each other laugh at even the most depressing of times. What mattered the most was making each other smile. Because smiling is the start of becoming happy again.

Now we were squished together at the sink, washing our syrup covered plates and occasionally splashing water at each other.

"What do you want to do today?" Heather asked, drying off her hands and slipping her crutches back under her arms.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you! Something very interesting happened yesterday!" I squealed, jumping up and down with excitement. I can't believe I forgot to tell her!