Chapter Six

Harry's POV

I didn't like the fact I was using the boys to get closer to Heather. But it seemed like my only option. I was desperate. Desperate for any contact with her.

I was willing to give my life for her anytime, anywhere. None of it mattered to me, I just want Heather.

I want to be able to feel her touch, feel her pink lips on mine. I want to be able to tell her I love her and hear it through her lips, and have her mean it. I want to wake up next to her, my arms wrapped around her, her neck snuggled in my shoulder and our legs intertwined.

But I can't. Because I screwed up; leaving her alone, in a time when she needed me most. And one thing I know she did was cry herself to sleep. She did it when her dog Jewels died, she did it when I left. I'm sure of it.

And that's what hurts the most; knowing I caused that and made someone I love so much feel so alone. But I did it to Heather. The girl of my dreams, the girl I thought I was helping. The person I would take a bullet for, the girl I would die for.

"Harry? How could you do this? You and Heather are best friends! You told me you kept contact, you lied to everyone!" Mum yelled at me as I sat on the couch with my head buried in my hands. Tears brimmed my stinging eyes, only intensifying the burning feeling. But I deserve it.

"Correction: 'ex-best friends'." I said quietly, a lump caught in the back of my throat. "I'm a horrible person," I said, a single tear rolling down my face. "I never even deserved her friendship, so why do I want more?"

She took the seat next to me, sighing and settling into the couch.

"We all know you both are meant to be," she laughed. "She can't stay mad at you for long, but I probably will. You should have told us what you were doing. I haven't talked to Heather since your audition."

"I'm so sorry," I said, wiping away the trail of tears on my flushed cheeks.

"Don't say it to me, say it to Heather."

"How did it happen?" I said quietly, looking at my mum. She also had tears brimming her eyes; she understood my question. She knew what I wanted to know.

"She was hit in a D.U.I."

The tears right then were uncontrollable, falling down my face and splashing on my shirt.

"Who was it?"

"Kyle."

Heather's POV

Okay, we might have let them in and had some fun.

That does not mean I'm forgiving Harry. Because I am most definitely not.

Yes, these four lads are very funny, but after this, we're back to just a memory. They are Harry's best friends now, not me. And it hurts, it really does, knowing I used to have what they have now.

Not only did he forget me, but he replaced me too.

And it hurts even more to feel like you aren't good enough. I was thrown into the land of misfit best friends, the place for the ones who were left behind.

Maybe that's how everything was supposed to play out. Maybe someone decided, "Hey, let's make Heather's life miserable! She would love that!"

Sometimes I seriously wonder why I'm still alive.

"Heather?" Zayn asked, waving his hand in my face.

"Uh... Yeah?" I laughed, rubbing my sore eyes. It was getting late. "Sorry, I was spacing out. I do that a lot."