「11」𝐸𝑚𝑏𝑟𝑎𝑐𝑒

Drop drop drop

In panic, you held a hand in front of your eye, where your brother had caught you with the knife. Everything in you was tense and the warm blood that was leaking from your wound ran down your hands, single drops landed on the marble floor.

Sheer shock was written on everyone's face, but Lady Dimitrescus face changed from worry to rage, furious rage.

„You stupid manthing. This will cost your life!" she shouted angrily, grabbing your brother roughly by the neck and lifting him up effortlessly. „You should have kept your greasy little hands off her."

At first you wanted to say something, but your vision was blurred, your legs were shaking, and you had to process what had just happened. Everything around you was spinning, but the sound of buzzing flies distracted you for a brief moment. The fiery reddish hair of Daniela  appeared in front of you and grabbed you by the shoulders.

Unlike a few weeks ago, she looked at you with great astonishment, instead of the covetous look for your blood and the hatred because she couldn't play with you the way she wanted to.

„You actually killed your own father to protect our home?" she brought out, the grip around your shoulders serving as an aid to keep you from falling fully to the ground.

You couldn't manage anything more than a curt nod. „I'd do it again if I had to."
Your voice was no louder than a breath of wind, yet the youngest daughter seemed to have understood, because her eyes widened in disbelief.

„Whoa, did he just poke your eye out?" It was Cassandra's voice, followed by a giggle before she too entered your field of vision. „I don't think so..." you muttered softly, your eyes now back on your mistress and brother.

John was trapped in Lady Dimitrescu's strong grip, desperately trying to free himself and gasping for air. Pure fear was visible in his face.

„Yes, good. Whimper for your pathetic little life!" Your mistress's pupils were no more than slits, the laugh of her was evil and almost seemed as if she had lost her mind.

It hurt to see your brother like this, you had sworn as a small child to always take care of him, why did it have to come to this?

What he and your entire family had done felt like a betrayal to you. They were probably enjoying their riches while you were left to fend for yourself. It hadn't been fair, you had always been aware that you were only being sold because as a woman you brought in more money and the boys could work on the fields. Nevertheless, there was still something in you that would not allow your brother to be hurt. Not until you had heard his side of the story.

„Lady Dimitrescu, please wait!" you called pleadingly, your eyes fixed on the already extended claws of your mistress.

Although you hadn't really expected it, your mistress actually hesitated, her gaze leaving your brother and turning to you. „You have no demands or requests to make of me. This man has invaded my castle, threatens me and my daughters and then also inflicts personal harm to my personal servant." Her voice was cold and full of hatred towards your brother.

Even though you had no right to do so, you were able to free yourself from Daniela's grip and now walked towards Lady Dimitrescu on shaky legs. „Please, let me talk to him at least one last time, he is my little brother after all. Actually, I should be in his place."

With every step you took, your voice became quieter and quieter, more blood dripped onto the floor.

Your head began to throb, your vision blurred more and more. This did not seem to go unnoticed, because Lady Dimitrescu's face abruptly changed from anger to concern.