Chapter 5

After my usual morning vomit and a hearty consolation breakfast with Gibbs, we went to work.

Everyone asked how I was but we didn't say anything about the baby. Obviously Gibbs almost didn't let me do my job, I couldn't get out of the building and that was when he could near me. Not that I don't like the feeling of him by my side but it's ... weird not even my parents at five paid me so much attention.

"Hey Cowboy, you don't need to be with me that much, not that I'm sorry ... but you don't need to." He nodded from the corner of my office, during one of his many breaks with me. "And if you need something ask, I don't need to rest, when I need it I'll tell you." He continued to nod. "How are we going to tell to the boys?" “Even now in the bullpen” I snorted. "I hope you are joking." "What did you think?" "Maybe a dinner with the team, Grace, Fornell and Faith ... obviously as soon as the case is closed." He rolled his eyes. "Where is it?" "Boh or at Lucatelli's or at your house." I'm not going to choose now and Gibbs got it. "We'll see when the case is closed."

Three days have passed since that chat and in the distance you can see the light at the end of the tunnel with infrared viewers equipped with a very powerful zoom. But no one has taken a moment to rest yet because a killer of female naval sergeants deserves to rot in prison. I wish I could contribute more but Gibbs is keeping me out of as many cases as possible, or at least all those interested and not talking about kidnapped purebred dogs or stolen $500 a bottle wine. My fear is that the next case could be two thugs drawing on the walls of Marins' houses on a mission.

"Hi Ellie, how's the case going?" "Bad." Ellie fed up said. "If I can help you ...." "So that Gibbs gets us fired, yes but no thanks." I rolled my eyes "If you need a profile just pass me the files, don't worry Gibbs is just worried about my fainting the other day." "So how do I get the files to you?" "I'm going to chat with Gibbs and keep him busy for five minutes. Bring me or email me all the files."

Luckily my trick worked and now the Gibbs team has a suspect to question. "JACK WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?" Gibbs arrived at my office. "Thing?" I said keeping calm. "DID YOU THINK YOU WOULD NOT COME TO KNOW?" He won't be making this whole scene because I didn't obey his order! "What? The fact that I helped you find a suspect?" "I TOLD YOU NOT TO WORK TOO MUCH" "Really Gibbs?" "YOU ARE OUT OF THE CASE, I REPEAT YOU MAYBE THIS TIME YOU UNDERSTAND IT." "SERIOUS GIBBS? AM I OUT OF A CASE BECAUSE I HAVE NOT FOLLOWED YOUR ORDER? ... WAIT I'M OUT OF THE CASE BECAUSE I HURT YOUR PRIDE FROM THE BOSS, I ALREADY TOLD YOU AND I REPEAT IT I'M NOT YOUR SUBJECT." "JACK IT'S NOT ABOUT MY PRIDE BUT IT'S YOUR HEALTH and baby's health." He lowered his voice during the last words. "TURN IT AS YOU WANT AND REMEMBER THAT IT'S YOUR WORK, THIS." I said running my hand over my pregnancy belly that it was starting to get quite noticeable even for baggy sweaters, and I walked out of the room to the bathroom.

As I washed the tears off my cheeks, trying to spoil the light office make-up as little as possible, Ellie walked in. Why is she always in the bathroom when I'm around ???? DAMN! "Hey Jack, thanks for your help we have a suspect and I'm pretty sure his the bastard." "I'm happy for you." I said with the most neutral voice possible and with my face in the towel. "Are you feeling better?" "Sure." I said sarcastic. "If you need something ..." "There's no need." "Everything." "No, really Ellie, I'm fine." I told her looking into her eyes. "Hug me Jack" I hugged her and the tears came back to my eyes. It's nice to have a friend like Ellie, ready to console you even if she doesn't know why you're sad. "So Jack will you tell me what's going on?" "Nothing." I replied dryly. "Jack, you don't cry at all." And she was completely right but hormones play bad tricks. "My eyes are sore, I haven't slept much and keeping my eyes on a screen for too long doesn't have the benefits of him." "Sure you can keep lying to me or let me comfort you." "Who is the psychologist here?" "I learned from the best." I tried to waste my time in order to find a fairly realistic lie for a detective. "So Jack, what's bothering you." "Okay… .I just got into a fight with Gibbs because he wants me to go home and do nothing." I told her half the truth. "Here's what you were discussing animatedly." With one hand I rubbed my forehead. "You should talk to Vance about it and if you don't, I'll do it." "No, it's not needed, it's just worried." "He's been worried for more than a week and I keep finding you in the bathroom crying." "Ellie you can't understand." "So let me understand, let's go have a coffee and explain to me." "I can't ... I can't drink coffee ... if you close the case by tonight and I'll explain everything to you at dinner." "Promise?" "I swear on my lollipops." "Then I'm going to solve a case."

Do you have to promise gossip to spur a federal agent? I also sent invitations for the evening to Gibbs and he immediately joined me at the office. He had talked to Ducky about it, he had calmed down and understood my point. What did they do with my Cowboy? Oh well after our chat I updated the message at 7 p.m. at Gibbs' house.

I finally managed to update 🥳.
In the quarrel between Jack and Gibbs, which side would you be on? Write it in the comments.
However, if you liked the chapter, don't forget to comment and rate 🤗🤗🤗🤗