Point Of No Return

A/N: ONLY TIME I WILL MENTION A *TRIGGER WARNING* FOR THIS BOOK FOR SCENES/THEMES OF VIOLENCE, DOMESTIC ABUSE, BLOOD, MENTIONS OF SUICIDE OR SUICIDAL THOUGHTS OR ACTIONS, DRUG ABUSE, MENTAL ILLNESS, ETC. DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THESE TOPICS. DON'T COME TO ME ABOUT HOW YOU 'WEREN'T WARNED' WHEN THIS IS RIGHT HERE. THANK YOU.

Chapter 1: Point Of No Return
Song: Point Of No Return - Starset

    Dying should be easy. It's inevitable, after all. Living is always the hard part. Surviving in a world where everything is rooting for your demise is a constant struggle. You could do everything right, not a single toe out of line, and all it takes to ruin everything is to fall, to choke, to drown, to get sick, or for an assassin like me to run a dagger through your heart as you sleep like this poor gentleman in front of me... Sad thing is, you'd never see it coming. Really, there are hundreds of ways to die, murder or otherwise. All that lives can bring about the death of another, that's the circle of life. The only way to break that circle, to disrupt the flow of the natural order, is to take yourself out. That's my dream. This life is a literal, unending Hell with no way out. I've tried countless times to free myself but nothing seems to work. I envy the rest of the world for getting the chance to die. Maybe someday it'll be my turn...

    Blood is sticky, it makes me uncomfortable. I don't mind that it's someone else's life force it's just that it stains everything. It's so hard to clean and Threil doesn't approve of mess in the home. I stay as clean as possible when I killed Welhym but my hands are still covered in it. I will have to stop by a stream along the way home. At least the weather is pleasant tonight. Despite everything, I've always enjoyed the warm windy nights where the clouds play with the stars. It tugs at a memory hidden somewhere in the depths of my mind but I haven't been able to retrieve it yet. It always starts out with a warm feeling but as the night wears on, I'm left feeling hollow.

    Threil is asleep when I return. I'm grateful for the reprieve, no matter how brief it may be. He loves me, I know he does because he tells me, but I feel on edge when he is around. It feels similar to how I feel when I'm getting ready to go on a job. It doesn't help that I don't love him, but I can't leave. It never ends well when I try to leave. I am his and nothing and no one will get in the way of that. That's why none of my deaths have stuck. He seems to always find a way to keep me alive. I am his, nothing more... Always his, nothing more...

    It's never a good thing to hear slamming doors at dawn. It's a sign that Threil is awake and not in a good mood. I'm not sure what I've done to upset him though. I'm sure it won't take long to figure out. At least I've gotten his breakfast and coffee prepared for him. Hopefully that'll soften his temper. I move aside as he strides into the kitchen and takes a seat.

"Good morning." I greet softly while fixing a small plate for myself.

"Did you complete your job?"

"Yes Sir."

"Then why were you late?"

"I apologize. I stopped by a stream to clean my hands so I wouldn't bring any mess home with me."

"If you did your job properly, you wouldn't be late."

"I'm sorry Sir." I mumble as I stare down at my plate. "It won't happen again."

"You know I get onto you because I love you, right?"

It takes every ounce of my self-control to not jump as his hand touches my thigh.

"Y-Yes Sir. Thank you for loving me." Maybe that will be enough to fix it... I don't want to hurt today.

His hand squeezes my thigh just hard enough to make me gasp from the pain before he gets to his feet and leaves me to clean up.

    Threil's mood hasn't improved at all today. He's kept me busy with various tasks around the house but no matter how perfectly I do what he asks, it's met with anger. His boiling point hasn't been met yet though. It won't be long, I'm sure. I'm not sure that I can handle it though. His punishments have been getting worse and worse as time goes on... Sometimes I hope that he snaps enough to finally kill me but other times, I feel the urge to survive and it leaves me running for my life. Running doesn't do anything but make it worse for me when he inevitably captures me until he calms down and I have to apologize and act like I want to go back home. It's incredibly stupid and degrading but on the nights I want to survive, I have to do what I have to in order to survive another night.

    We've made it to dinner. All that's left after that is a bath before he either sends me on a job or lets me go to bed. A few men have come and gone today to speak with him. It usually leads to me being sent out. I'm actually hopeful that I will. It's actually safer to go out into the world and kill someone than to stay home. It's pathetic and I know it is.

"Elydia!"

I snap back to focus as the plate shatters on the floor, sending rice and chicken around the room.

"I'm so sorry Sir!" I squeak as I crouch down to pick up the plate.

"Leave it."

"Y-Yes Sir." I've cut my hand but I can't let him know. It'd only make it worse...

"Come here."

I clench my hand into a fist behind my back to hide the cut as I approach the table.

"What were you thinking of?"

I blink in surprise at the gentleness of his tone. That's not what I expected him to say.

"I- uh, what do you mean?"

"Don't act stupid. What were you thinking about that made you ignore me?"

I swallow hard and try to come up with something, anything to cover what I was actually thinking.

"I... was thinking... that I don't want to be here, with you, anymore..." Well, there goes the whole lying thing...

"What?"