Failed Escape

"Make sure all decorations are set already", her teacher said.

Gillian is a student president with excellent scholastic records. She makes sure to put a smile on her mama Ruth's face. Though she knew Ruth is not her biological mother but she fulfilled Lea's obligations. For years, she grew up in the loving and caring arms of Ruth. And even if time would go back to the start, she'd always choose her mama Ruth.

"So, your mom is coming pala", Danica, her best friend, teased her.

"Patawa ka ba? Coz it's not funny. You know I hate you saying that", she rolled eyes.

"To naman! I am just jesting pero pano yan? Ms. Fernandez assigned you to host the program", Danica asked.

"Well, not unless I am nowhere to be found", she wiggles her brows.

"Loka! So, what are you gonna do? Tatakas ka?! Naku! Just don't try it. Ninang Ruth would surely drag you home"

She scoffs, "I'd rather be grounded than sitting next to that woman noh. Of all schools in the country, dito talaga siya pabalik balik eh"

"Hello! Let me remind you lang again, she is one of the sponsors here. Saka, her daughter is also here kaya naman she likes coming back"

Gillian pulled her hair and she complains from pain.

"Kaw na nga dito. I'll go get my stuff and don't tell anyone I escape ah", Gillian quickly left her best friend, and Danica is just left there shaking head. Everyone is so excited to meet her mom as she heard students around vocalizing.

If I am her daughter, I maybe the luckiest girl in the world. Imagine your mom is one of the best for so long.

She is just a bundle of inspiration and joy.

Not just talented but also intelligent.

Gillian kept disagreeing through mind as she walks passed the students. They don't know what they're saying. A lot of people globally admire her mom as a person, put on efforts to meet her and talk to her. But she isn't one of the many. She might be the daughter but not a fan of her life. If only things can be amended, she'd rather choose a simple life than being two people's mistake from the past. She knew the story of her parents. She understood the boundary they set in between. And even if she wanted to feel that complete family right next to them, it ain't possible. It won't be happening no matter what. And she begun accepting it at her young age. It has been so long that she can't recall anymore her memory of them under one same roof. Laughing. Playing. Just the three of them. But those innocent days are all but gone.

She learned to face the truth.

Behind their school building is a wall twice taller than her but she has done it before. Each time Lea is invited at their school, Gillian escaped. She doesn't want to see her mom nor her dad. At all cost, she avoids them. But today isn't hers. She jumped off from the above edge of their wall but got caught by a man in uniform. A sigh escaped from her upon seeing a car parked behind him. She doesn't need to know who is inside.

"Ms. Gillian, pinapatawag po kayo ng mommy niyo", the said man told her.

"She's not my mom", she lifted a brow, took steps closer to the car. Door opened by another man for her, she got in. Lea is sitting inside waiting for her. She intentionally passed that direction for she already knew Gillian will escape.

"Where do you think you're going?", she asked.

"Escaping, obviously", she didn't bother to throw a gaze.

"Babe, you're just getting yourself harm. What if you ...", she is cut off when Gillian sighed.

"You're really an actress. Pretending like you care about me is an easy job. I don't understand why you keep coming back. Your mom hates me. Your family doesn't know I exist. Your career is at risk each time we cross our path. And I don't need you...", she averted eyes at her. "... I don't need you and him. Why don't you just stop pretending like you care?"

Lea swallowed all words thrown at her, "I understand, babe. Mommy understands your pain. I hope ... it's easy to just completely disappear in your life. I hope it is all just an act that when the camera turns off, we're done. But it is not. I am your mom and there is nothing in this world you can do to change it"

"There is"

Lea furrowed brows, "What?"

"Waive your parental rights", Gillian said with affirmation.

"You ... you can't be serious, Gillian", she holds back the tears wanting to escape.

"I am. If you waive your rights, both of you don't have to keep coming back. No more hiding. No more secrets. No more pretending. Mama Ruth raised me all by herself. I don't see any reasons for you to still see me. I am fine. Totally fine even without you"

Lea found no trace of hesitations on her daughter's face. She reached for her hand but Gillian dodged. Each day is just extending the wide gap in between them. If only everything is under her control she'd choose the simple life with her children. Many times she tried telling Rob about her and Aga to Charlene but to no avail. They're both coward from this. It may put everything out of their control and she isn't prepared for that. But she blamed herself for not standing what's right before. Her mom rules over her life. She may be a perfect daughter from the eyes of the public but she is a failure as a mom. Her name may have entailed tough and outspoken personalities but behind her mask is a mediocre in life.

"I know all my lapses and I can't blame you for hating me ... us. But you can't push us away. I am trying so hard to fix this, babe. Trust me I will"

Gillian puffs, "And you think I'm still on that stupidity? Just admit it! You can't tell anyone about me coz I will do no good for your career. Kaya niyo nga ako pinamigay diba? I grew up from someone else's side coz both of you have me as a mistake"

"That's not true"

"Yes, it is. It is! You never planned to have me so when I came ... it was so easy for the both of you to give me away"

But Lea lost her shit, "Of course not! Gillian, you're crossing the line. Alam ko galit ka but you don't know the whole truth! We had no choice back then"

"Of course you do but both of you chose your career. Just cut it out coz I won't buy it. That's the truth that you can't tell me. I am just giving you the easy way here. Just give up your parental rights and you two can go on your lives like I don't exist at all"

Gillian stepped out. Door slammed and Lea felt her whole being torn apart. Waterworks begun. She is right. It's not about the choices she didn't have. Aga asked her to elope and build their own family but she can't defy her mom. She had choices but not the courage.