Fresh restart

Midnight came, streets have turned darker and silent. And even scarier for someone at her age. Gillian doesn't know where to go. Hours have passed since she ran off from Lea's home where she doesn't belong. Maybe they're looking for her or not but she could not care less. She turned off her phone. At the back of her mind says nobody would search for her anyway. No one cares for her but Ruth. Nobody understands her silence but Ruth. It has always been her mama Ruth. Tears begun to drift down her face again as she looks up the dark sky. Eyes turned puffy and tired. Heart feels nothing but pain and emptiness. But Gillian cottoned on the new life ahead. It is what it is now.

Alone and broke, she has only herself to rely on.

"Hija! Hija, gising. Huy! Gumising ka na nga. Pwesto ko to!", an old lady woke her up. Gillian got up, rubbing her eyes. She fell asleep at the park.

"S-sorry po, ale", Gillian grabbed her bag and walked away from the old lady's spot. She is a vendor of street foods, apparently. Old lady arranged her displays then Gillian heard her tummy growling. With empty stomach, she left home last night. Maybe because of the heated scene, she forgot to eat dinner. A nearby cafeteria displays their newly cooked foods. Steaming and appetizing. She looked at her wallet but found only a hundred peso bill folded. No home for shelter. No enough money to survive.

"Kung di ka bibili, miss, tumabi tabi ka diyan. Sagabal ka lang eh. Titingin tingin ka, di ka naman bibili!", a woman told her. Gillian is hesitant to dine in. Without anyone else to run to, she has to earmark until its last cent. She paced her direction, searched for something she can afford just to fill in her empty stomach.

"Kuya, magkano po tong banana cue?"

"Sampung piso, hija"

She spent her morning walking down the streets. It's the first day of summer vacation. Others might have decided where to spend it but for someone like her, she has to find a job to survive. From one store to another, she tried applying as food server.

"Sigurado ka bang naghahanap ka ng trabaho, miss? Eh mukhang anak mayaman ka ah. Baka naman tumakas ka lang sa mansyon niyo. Naku ha! Ayoko ng gulo", store owner asked her, doubtful.

"I'm ho - uhm, ulila po ako, maam. Hindi rin ho ako mayaman", she said.

"May alam ka bang gawaing bahay? Dito sa karinderya ko, bawal ang tatamad tamad. Kailangan all around ka. Marunong ka ba magluto? Maghugas ng pinggan? O magwalis ng sahig? Duda ako sa hitsura mo eh. Mukha ka kaseng laking aircon"

Ruth has reminded her before that being independent must start from doing household chores. Her mama is right all along. Gillian has never crossed it in mind that one day it'll be her source of income. She got the job. Although anxious and worried for a lot of things, she has no options. Besides, it is a stay-in job with free meals though low rate is offered. She started her job right away. Many people are coming in as time clicks to 12 noon. She easily gets along with other servers but work isn't that fun. Gillian wakes up at five o'clock in the morning, tags along the owner to the market for ingredients. Store usually closes at nine in the evening but her day doesn't end there. Gillian washes all the dishes, cleans up the tables and floor, and even closes the store. She sleeps in a very small room with her three workmates.

"Hay. Ang sakit ng likod ko. Dami kaseng customers ngayong araw eh. Buti na lang uuwi ako sa amin bukas. Ikaw ba, Gillian? Isang buwan ka na dito ah. Wala ka bang relatives? Di ka ba uuwi kahit weekend?", Carlene, one of her close workmates, asked.

"Naku, dito lang ako, ate. Wala naman akong uuwian eh. Wala na akong pamilya. Ako na lang mag isa"

It has been a month - full of new challenges. She changed her phone number, logged out from all socmed accounts. Deep inside of her she expected a bit that Aga and Lea would use all connections they have just to find her, regardless of the risk. But not even a single news link spreads all over socmed looking for her. Not even one post from their socmed accounts is present - disappointing yet understandable. It would be embarrassing and controversial in their part to announce her missing. Nobody knows in their circle of her existence let alone the fact that she's a hidden daughter. Although both her parents have tried reaching out, sent messages asking her to come home, phoned her many times, but she found a new home where she truly belongs. She found new people. She found a new life where no family has to get ruined.

And, she is slowly rebuilding herself ... alone yet contented.

"Ang bango naman niyan", the owner's husband, Ben, praised her behind. It's inspiring to work hard when one is recognized by their boss but not Gillian. Ever since she started working as server, Ben has that lewd stares towards her. Carlene once warned her to avoid the owner's husband at all cost. She is not the first target and hoping she won't be another victim. Ben is a pervert, likes to sneak peek at their stay-in servers while taking a bath. Some who aims a raise on their pay fell in his bait. They slept with him, satisfied his lust. But some decided to resign because of fright. It is no secret to the owner but she always takes her husband's side.

"Th-thank you po, kuya", she moved to the side but Ben looks at her with full intimate desire.

"Kumusta ka naman dito, hija? Okay lang ba sila katrabaho? Yung kwarto mo, di ka ba naiinitan? Nasisikipan? May bakanteng kwarto pa naman sa taas. Sabihin mo lang sakin. Pwedeng pwede ka don", he smiled, biting his lower lip.

Gillian felt goosebumps all over her body. Assumption has flooded her thoughts. No one else is around in the kitchen but them. She thought of an excuse to leave but Ben blocked her way. He touches her arm and Gillian shove away his hand, "Napakaganda mong bata. Dumadami yung customers dito dahil sayo eh. Dapat nga taasan sahod mo. Pwede ko naman sabihan yung misis ko eh pero ....", he pulls her waist, comes closer to her face. "Sundin mo muna yung gusto ko"

Gillian begun to cry, begging him to let go of her. "Kuya, wag po. Ayos lang ho ako sa sahod ko"

"Di naman malalaman ni maam mo eh. Ako bahala sayo. Wala ka pa bang experience? Mmm? Wag ka mag alala. Dadahan dahanin ko", he inserts her hair behind ear, sniffing her nook.

She shook her head, pushing him away as she cries. "Kuya, please ayoko po. Wag po"

He chuckles, "Siguro naman alam mo ng walang nakakalusot sakin, hija. Lahat ng natitipohan kong trabahante dito, nakukuha ko. Natitikman ko. Lalo ka na. Ang lakas ng tama ko sayo eh. Pagbigyan mo lang ako, Gillian, tataasan ko sahod mo. Pag aaralin pa kita kung gusto mo". He caressed her cheek, wiped away her tears as he slowly tries to claim her lips. Gillian pushes him, begging to stop harassing.

She tried to run when she escaped from his arms but Ben quickly grabbed her. He kisses her neck forcibly as Gillian cries for help. "Kuya, tama na! Please! Ayoko po!"

Store owner isn't around but fortunately Carlene heard her shouting. She hastily ran to the kitchen only to find Gillian crying and pushing Ben away. Carlene screamed for help as she pulls Ben away from Gillian. Few more workers came to help but Ben got angrier. He glared at Gillian before leaving, "May araw ka rin sakin, bata ka! Maswerte ka at dumating sila. Sa susunod, di ka na makakatakas sa akin"

Gillian hugged Carlene, crying and trembling. Her co-workers comforted her. "Tahan na, Gillian. Tahan na. Iwasan mo na lang siya para walang gulo. Siguraduhin mong nakalock yung pinto ng kwarto ha. Uuwi ako mamaya sa amin. Si Katrina lang yung makakasama mo. Mag iingat ka parati"

She nodded, speechless. Part of her says to go home but also she knew nothing differs. No one would protect her even if she goes back to her parents. It's a living hell. Her abu would just convince her to leave. Nicole will just keep on hearing and seeing her parents fighting. And same goes to Aga's family. Charlene doesn't treat her well. Whenever Aga is not around, she treats Gillian as if one of their housemaids. Her twin siblings would throw stuff at her but she doesn't want to fight back. She used to be like them — innocent from the truth. Maybe she is the one paying for Lea and Aga's mistake from the past.

Her whole life is just a mistake after all.