Aunty Em's

I woke up as we pulled  to a stop at the old emporium.  A sign hung from an old frayed rope and was swinging in the wind.  The sign was inscripted with the words Aunty Em's Garden Emporium.  Numbers of crushed old statues lined the building.  One, a lady with a terrified look on her face, was missing a hand.  Another looked like a centaur with a big mole on his forhead.  All of the statues had webs and mildew on them. 

        "This place is old," declared the awestruck Sammy.

        "Your mom is old," Mike replied and he punched Sammy in the arm.

        "Everybody shut up!" I snapped, "I hear something."

        Something was spying on us.  I heard a slither and a hiss.  Suddenly, a dracaena came flying out at Hannah.  I pulled out a small knife and sliced the monster right down the back.  Then I was thrown into the air and towards a statue of a smiling man.  I hit it with a thunk.  Instantly, Hannah went into action with her long slender spear.  She jumped up onto the back of the snake lady and shoved the spear head into her neck.  She disapeared in a giant puff of golden dust.  Hannah cleaned the tip of her spear and motioned me to follow her.   We walked down a long hall way until we met a long stairway.  Then we walked down the stairway for what seemed like forever.  When we got to the bottom I had Sammy and Mike stay behind.  I ran toward a big wooden door and I opened it up a crack.  What I saw made my blood curdle.  Faith and Layla were tied to a poll in the middle of the room.  Fire wood was piled around them and five cans of gasoline were laying in the wood.  I scanned the room for Kylie.  When I saw her I freaked.  She was tied by her feet from the ceiling and about a foot off of the ground.  Monsters would walk up to her and slap her face or punch her gut.  I was furious.  Then a monster went to light the fire.

        The monster never got to the matches.  A huge wall of water from an under ground spring washed all of the monsters away from my friends and towards me.  I pulled out my bronze sword and my knife and I slashed and smacked.  Hannah fought along side me while Mike lit the monsters up with his crossbow.  I drenched the wood on the pile so that the monsters could not light it. 

        ''HANNAH, go get Faith and Layla.  I'll get Kylie.  Mike, cover me!"

        I ran towards Kylie.  A  wave came under my feet and I surfed accross the ground.  Then I saw a glint in the air.  An empousa ran towards Kylie and when she saw me she ran even faster.  It was now or never.  I launched myself towards her.  Her arm whipped up and then down, and I stabbed her in the chest.  Then I heard a scream.  I turned in horror.  Kylie was gripping something in her side.  Her hands were turning red and she was grimacing.  I ran towards her and I cut her restraints down.  I laid her gently on the ground.  Kylie was dying.  This is what I was trying to prevent.  Suddenly an arrow flew past my face and a bellow erupted from a cyclops near me.  Mike waved to me and told Hannah to come help me  I grabbed a match and I willed a piece of wood dry.  I lit the wood and pressed it to her wound.  Kylie cried out, Hannah began to comfort her and I continued to cauterize her side.  Suddenly she stopped breathing.  I felt her pulse. Nothing. 

        "NO!" I yelled,"no no no no.  I failed her. No." I cried.

        Suddenly I had an amazing thought.  I began to will the water in her blood to circulate. 

        Kylie let out a huge racking breath.  I passed out to the thought of me saving a life and the girls cheering. I had not failed.