Chapter Twenty-Two

When I woke the next day, I found my stomach tightly wrapped again. My mouth felt dry and dusty, as if I'd decided to eat a mountain of gravel. I sat up slowly. Sasori was no where to be seen, so I took it as a opportunity to get out of his room. Something about being surrounded by the makings of puppet parts wasn't as pleasant as one would imagine. 

My eyes felt tired and fatigued, which I found increasingly troublesome. These were the only eyes I had, after all. I made my way to the kitchen and decided to drink something before my mouth and throat resembled a desert. I thought it was a very good decision. A sigh rushed past my lips as I swallowed the cool liquid. My lips quirked into a smile. I like water. It amused me. 

Eventually, I found myself lying on the sofa, a plate of dango resting on my stomach. Where had I gotten the dango? I had absolutely no idea, but it sure did taste good. Better than those rice balls Sasuke seemed to eat all the time. My thoughts came to a halt as Deidara sat down on the couch next to my head before lifting it and placing it down again in his lap. I blinked. 

"Hey, Dei-kun~" I said in greeting. Deidara's bright blue eyes blinked down at me before he smiled. 

"Hey, Yami-chan, un~" He said, his voice holding a light, teasing note that brought a smile to my face. I giggled. "Feeling better? I heard you took lightening to the stomach, un." I nodded. 

"Yeah, it feels a lot better." I responded, closing my eyes. Deidara's hand brushed my bangs out of my face and I opened my eyes. We stared at each other for a few moments. 

"We hardly get to do things together." I said, my voice taking a slightly sadder tone. I shrugged after a few moments. "Then again, I guess a lot has happened." A knock sounded at the door. I'd woken up early, so there was still daylight left. Deidara and I exchanged glances. I sent a clone to get Yahiko and Nagato. 

Deidara got up slowly, and opened the door with caution. "Can I help you, un?" Deidara said, his voice suspicious.  A deep voice rumbled outside, and Tsunade's soon followed. I frowned. What were they talking about? Deidara turned his head and gave me a slight frown, his gaze clouded with concern. Yahiko and Nagato ghosted down the stairs behind us. 

"How can we help you?" Yahiko said smoothly, his gaze calm and collected. Nagato stood next to me, a breath away. My stomach clenched with anticipation. Yahiko's eyes widened almost impossibly before he looked at the two of us. I wanted to know what Tsunade and her companion had said that caused such an uproar. 

My eyes widened impossibly as well as they came inside. My jaw dropped and I looked at Tsunade. She shook her head silently, gesturing for me to say nothing for the moment. A short man that I recognized as the Tsuchikage stood before me, his eyes squinting at me. "What is the meaning of this?" Itachi said, appearing from the kitchen. Five heated gazes locked onto him. 

"We will tell you momentarily." I was frozen. The Five Kages were in our house, staring at Nagato and I. They whispered amongst themselves before Tsunade bellowed "She's a loyal shinobi and she has promised to keep Akatsuki in line!" I tensed furiously. 

They had the guts to talk about me as if I wasn't here? It was almost unforgivable. I looked to Itachi. He shrugged slightly, telling me he didn't know what they were talking about either. I became uncomfortable as they all stared at Nagato and I again. "Would you mind at least pretending that we're not cattle?" I asked, earning a glare from the Raikage. "We're people, too, ya know. We can speak for ourselves." Tsunade gave me a slight smile before delving into the discussion again. 

My eyes scoured the Five Kage while Deidara made funny facial expressions. I could hardly keep my face straight. My lips fought to smile, while I found to suppress it, giving me a strange facial expression that probably resembled a strangled cat. Eventually, I couldn't hold it in. I snickered, loudly.