Intervention

(1 month later)

We all sat around waiting for the interventionist to arrive to go over the training needed to stage Tessa's intervention. Marshall let us use the studio as we knew it was a place that we wouldn't have to worry about Tessa showing up. I don't think she even knows where it is. She had crashed her car and got a DUI about a week after Shiq left and we all knew it was time to step in. Even my ex-husband had flown in from Philly to take part in her intervention.

I sat next to Marshall taking deep nervous breaths and my knees shaking like a leaf. Angel sat next to me holding my hand and Dominic was on the other side of her. Marshall put his arm around me for comfort with his three daughters sitting across from us. Tony sat by himself in a chair in the far corner of the room trying not to make it any more awkward than it already was. At 7PM on the dot the interventionist entered, and Marshall and I stood to greet her. He was familiar with her work because he met her through his own involvement in the recovery community. She was a well put together woman of what looked like her mid-thirties and smiled wide as she shook both our hands.

The woman introduced herself as Suzanne, but to call her Suzi as we all took a seat to get started. The room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. We all knew the basics of addiction and intervening, but we needed a professional with us to instruct us on what to do if something went wrong or if Tessa does not want help.

"An intervention is a great gift of love." Suzi began. "Tomorrow, you are all to have written letters of fond memories and how much you all love Tessa. No negative talk! Let's keep this positive. Lilly, what are your concerns about tomorrow?"

My eyes got big as I was put on the spot. "Honestly, I'm afraid she's going to blame her father and I for her problems. I wasn't the best version of myself when she was growing up."

                                                                                   TONY (Lilly's Ex)

                                                                                   TONY (Lilly's Ex)

"Our divorce was rough, and Tessa took the brunt of it." Tony looked over at me. "Maybe tomorrow we should apologize for not being the best parents?"

Suzi chimed in to answer his question. "That's an excellent idea. This is a family disease. We cannot change the past, but we can acknowledge our wrongdoings. Ultimately, Tessa is now an adult, and she must be held accountable for her actions. It's nobody's fault but Tessa's. Do not let her manipulate the two of you, she is responsible for her drinking and crashing the car."

Suzi looked intently into my eyes, "Lilly, Marshall has told me that Tessa has some issues with you and may try to blame you for her drinking. If that happens tomorrow, I want you to stay quiet. Do not engage in the argument."

That's easier said than done. I think I can hold my own with the support from the other family members in the room. Marshall squeezed my hand to ensure me that he would be here for me through this hectic moment in our lives.