Him and I

Lilly POV

I never thought I'd get married again; I'll always remember Marshall's vows to me. Short, sweet, and to the point. It was after the ceremony that I became a bit apprehensive. Following the formalities, Marshall and I made our exit as all our family and friends looked on and I noticed a swarm of tall, burly men lined up to barricade the perimeter. I didn't feel this was necessary, but apparently Paul was being overly cautious. It made me nervous as if something awful was about to happen. Marshall seemed perfectly at ease, so I followed suit and enjoyed our night.

"Congratulations Mom!" Tessa enveloped me in a hug.

My oldest daughter was the first one to congratulate me. She'll always be my little girl even in her evening gown and her hair in an updo. Tessa has become a grown woman right before my eyes.

"Here, let's celebrate." Tessa carried a shot of vodka in each hand.

"Are you crazy? I can't do that shit! I won't be able to stop." I scolded her.

"Well, more for me." Tessa downed the first shot, took a breath then devoured the next.

"You can't be drinking either! You're not even twenty-one yet!"

"Mom, I turn twenty-one in less than a month now. Chill!"

I rolled my eyes and walked away.

The spread was immaculate! Crab cakes, beef stroganoff, baked ziti, our beautiful cake with berry topping...the works! Gold and burgundy linens and lighting surrounded our guests and we danced for hours laughing and enjoying ourselves.

I couldn't help glancing at Paul every few minutes though. He congratulated Marshall and I and went through the motions, but Paul was on the phone way too often. Something had to be going on with the security because he wouldn't just be taking random phone calls at our wedding. It seemed suspicious, nevertheless all I could do was ignore it and trust that the support team would do their job if anything crazy happens. I just married the man of my dreams; I didn't want to miss a moment of tonight.

"Hey beautiful!" Marshall grabbed me from behind to hold me tightly and whisper in my ear. "We're married now. Can you believe we're married?"

We clasped our left hands together and he raised my palm to his lips and kissed it.

"Today was better than I ever imagined." I turned to gaze at my new husband as his mouth hit mine hard in a lustful kiss.

"Guys, take it easy. You can do that on the honeymoon." Gina stood there smiling at us.

"Hey, I'm so glad you're here!" I hugged my best friend.

"You are the most beautiful bride, Lilly. I mean that." She stared at me through genuine eyes. "And Marshall, it's good to see you again!"

"How you been Gina?" Marshall leaned in for a hug.

"I've listened to MTBMB Side B twice now." She rambled on. "Once in the hot tub, stoned, and once in the car, straight. It's brilliant! I like more and more each time I listen."

"Thank you. I appreciate that." Marshall's answer was sincere.

"I know I've only met you twice, but I knew the first time I saw you two together that you would eventually get married. I didn't know that it would be just a year later." We all laughed, and Gina hugged us both keeping a huge, toothy smile plastered on her face. "Congratulations, I love you guys!"

Gina made her way back into the crowd and Marshall and I slow danced together.

"She's so funny." Marshall whispered in my ear.