Four

Something moves and I bolt awake, moving something off of me and standing up. Unfamiliar room. My heart is beating wildly, my breath shallow.

I haven't woken feeling trapped in a long time, and I hope that's the case again. I calm my breathing as I realize I'm just at Zack's.

Zack opens his eyes and I immediately head to the door and put my shoes on.

"Zeez-"

But I don't hear the rest of what he's said, because I'm already in the hallway. I hear movement in the hall but I lock my door and head to my room.

We had gone from playing Halo to putting another Bourne movie on. And then somehow I'd fallen asleep and he had one hand on my hip, the other on his stomach below my own hand. I had one hand and my cheek on his chest, as I half laid on him. One of my legs was between his as I laid between him and the couch leaning.

I hope I hadn't hurt him jumping off the couch so quickly. He hadn't done anything wrong.

I don't know how we got to that position since we started sitting up playing Halo. We were sitting up for Bourne. A couch cushion between us. The controllers were on the floor. Empty beer bottles on the coffee table.

I brush my teeth and change before crawling into bed. 

I don't cuddle. I don't sleep beside people. I don't even share rooms with people. I didn't do any of that stuff. Not since Mom.

I don't sleep much the rest of the night.

------

I wake up exhausted from tossing all night and redo my ponytail, throw the blankets back and move my legs over the side of the bed before standing. Groaning loudly.

I really needed a good night's sleep soon or I'd be a zombie.

I dress and get ready to go for coffee when I hear a light knock at my door. I look out to see Zack and I try to be very quiet as I back up. I didn't want to see him. Things would be exactly as I didn't want them to be - awkward. But I also really needed a coffee and that was on the other side of this door.

"Zeez? Please let me apologize."

"You don't need to apologize. Things are fine. Have a good day." I say through the door.

"Did you sleep okay?"

"Sure."

"So, you work today?"

"Yes."

"I win, I'm off today." After a pause, he sighs, "Zeez, can we have this conversation without a fucking door between us?" Is he mad?

How do I say no? I should've stayed quiet and let him think I was still sleeping. I take a deep breath and slowly open the door.

"And what are you going to do all day, Keys?" Zack asks, leaning casually on the doorframe.

"Work, maybe play a bit and then I'm going out tonight."

"Play?"

"I try to keep up piano."

"Oh right, your many talents." I roll my eyes. "Where are you off to tonight?"

"The movies."

"With loverboy?"

"Dean. He said they all bring girls and he feels awkward, so he invited me." I shrug.

He laughs, shaking his head, and I look at him confused, "Like friends?"

"Yeah. Because we're friends."

"Do you want more with him?"

"No-" Even if I stood a chance with him, we wouldn't work. He was too... legal and good.