Bloody November - Chapter 7

Anika kept trying to steer the conversation back to her alibi, but she wouldn't stop beating around the bush, constantly bringing up things off-topic

Anika kept trying to steer the conversation back to her alibi, but she wouldn't stop beating around the bush, constantly bringing up things off-topic. Her evasiveness was frustrating everyone.

“Guys! What are you all doing here?” Rajeev’s voice cut through the tension.

“Don’t repeat, Rajeev,” Sayani snapped, her patience wearing thin.

“Trust me! I saw him—” Gauri insisted, her eyes wide with fear.

“Rajeev! We wanted to know about that ruin,” Anika interrupted, trying to regain control of the conversation.

“Yeah, right…” Rajeev’s tone dripped with sarcasm.

“I wonder who made you a private investigator,” Sayani said, glaring at Rajeev.

“It is pretty obvious, the author of the story,” Rajeev replied, his frustration spilling over.

“What?” Sayani was confused by his cryptic response.

“Look, Sayani, I believe that the Almighty has written our life path and we just act accordingly. That’s why—”

“Okay, guys! Stop sharing this philosophy and let’s move ahead,” Anika said, exasperated.

Gauri was visibly terrified. Sayani, noticing her distress, rubbed her elbows to console her. Rajeev, having already scouted the area, led the way towards the ruin. Anika walked beside them, lost in her thoughts. After a few steps, the ruin came into view. The structure loomed ominously in the distance, its dilapidated walls barely standing against the backdrop of the night.

As they approached, Gauri hesitated. She didn’t want to go inside, but staying alone outside wasn’t an option either. They entered cautiously, their footsteps echoing through the stone corridors. Small creatures had made the ruins their home, and the wind howled through the broken windows, making the grasses outside whisper like unseen conspirators.

“Argh! That’s a bad smell,” Sayani said, wrinkling her nose in disgust.

Rajeev ignored her, focused on the task at hand. “Search for a clue, anything that might help us progress in this case,” he ordered, his voice steady.

With their mobile phone flashes, they scoured the ruin. The atmosphere was oppressive, the darkness seemed to swallow their lights. It felt like they would return empty-handed, but Rajeev’s determination never wavered. He meticulously combed through every corner.

By now, the ladies were exhausted. It was almost three in the morning. Despite it not being winter, the environment was cold and dismal, covered with mist and fog. Everything looked hazy. Visibility was poor, but Rajeev continued his search undeterred.

“Rajeev!” Anika called out, but instead of a response, they heard dogs barking in the distance. The ruin fell silent, an eerie calm settling over them. Sayani suggested they take a quick nap to regain their strength. They settled down, the cold stone floor uncomfortable beneath them. The silence was oppressive, and sleep came reluctantly.