4: The Induction

"You have never ridden a horse before?!"

(Y/N) stood right in the middle of the stable alley at a respectable distance from all the majestic horses. Just in case.

"I never had a chance..."

"Everyone knows how to ride a horse!"

"Can't we use other means of transport?"

A genuine laugh filled the stable. "Her Majesty thinks I am going to rant a carriage for her? I am afraid the government doesn't pay us well enough for that. You'll have to learn how to ride a horse eventually if you plan to survive," Hange turned to face (Y/N) who just now escaped from an inquisitive nose of a white stallion, not listening to the fact that her whole life might be in danger because of her lack of experience in this regard.

"But maybe not today," they patted the mane of a gorgeous bay mare who was sticking her head outside of the stall. "Nova this is (Y/N). We'll be giving her a lift," then Hange gripped (Y/N)'s hand and put completely dry bread crumbs in it. "Here. Give her this. You can win her over with a piece of bread," (Y/N) swallowed the intimidated feeling horses evoked in her and extended the crunchy snack in Nova's direction. "See, you can be friends. Wait here I'll get the saddle and headstall."

Nova breathed out onto (Y/N)'s shaking hand looking for more treats. Fear seeped onto the surface manifesting itself on (Y/N)'s weak, unsteady palms. The horse wasn't the only reason she felt like that. Normally she would be able to conceal everything but now...

"Can you open the stall for me?" (Y/N) did exactly what was asked of her but stayed outside, watching Hange skillfully handle all the belts and buckles.

"Besides the fact you can't ride a horse, there are more things that are pretty much putting your life on the line."

"And these are?"

"Everything you possess. Your books? Illegal. As well as your research papers.

"My books?"

"Any information connected to the outer world is under restrictions from the government. Advancements that are not government-approved too. You are carrying a death sentence on your back. Also, the fact that you've entered Titan territory without permission and you don't have verifiable identity inside of the walls. Although I am sure Erwin will do something about the last one... you are so fortunate that we were the first one to find you! Otherwise, who knows what would happen,"

Meaning they are also going against these restrictions when covering me up and telling me all of this... but why? Not very politically stable this state. Dissidents amongst government officers, right under everyone's noses...

"That's the only reason why I was captured? For illegally entering the Titan territory?"

"Exactly!" Hange giggled, "and the smoke and lightning thing you know,"