5: The Reconciliation

The graduation night. The night when strong, young minds have to make the most important decision in their careers: choose the military branch they will enter. While many of the top 10 graduates are relieved to join the Military Police Brigade and live in the safety of the inner Walls, the majority doesn't have this privilege.

Members of the 104th Training Corps stood upright, lined up perfectly, waiting for the commander to take the floor.

»»————-  ————-««

(Y/N)'s eyes snapped open as she jolted awake, looking around wildly as reality merged with the vague remnants of a bad memory. She woke up in a briefly furnished room that she didn't recognise at first. Her vision was blurry, heart hammering in her chest, threatening to jump out any minute. She hugged her legs tightly in a pathetic attempt to calm herself down. All of her senses gradually came back and with them also the dread and helplessness she felt before. At least the migraine seemed to leave for good.

"For fuck's sake, pull yourself together! You are not going to break down that easily are you? You still haven't seen a glimpse of this timeline and what it has to offer-" she wanted to continue, but the furious whispers were stuck. She was in serious need of a glass of water. About time to find out where this place has its water reserves.

Concentrating on mindful breathing, she sat there for a few more minutes. Then she slipped on her shoes and slowly got off the bed. The small room Hange showed her when they got back from Trost to the HQ was now 'hers'. Or that's how she understood it. After the Military Police asked Hange several questions they didn't speak much since. Both (Y/N) and Hange had a lot to think about. On top of that, thanks to the skip in time, (Y/N) haven't slept for two whole days, and it was starting to get the best of her. A mid-day nap was a necessity.

Not far away from the bed stood a chair with her black coat folded over and an antique-looking cabinet with delicate roses painted around the knobs. The cabinet itself was empty, but a checkered chess box rested on top of it. She ran her fingers across this beautifully polished piece of handwork, not a speck of dust in sight. Even tho beige paint was falling apart in some places, revealing the brick wall underneath, it was apparent someone was taking good care of this place and kept it exceptionally clean. Guess this is where I'll be staying for a while, better get used to it...

In her stable element again, she left the room and started browsing the empty castle corridors looking for the kitchen. Hange was nowhere to be found, so was everyone else. Although she was certain the whole SOS got back with them too. Walking cautiously along the silent halls that were getting darker and darker every minute, she didn't know what time it was. However, she obviously slept throughout the entire day.

"Hello? Is anyone here?" (Y/N) said, peaking into the mess hall. No response. She glared into the darkening room she already knew when she heard an audible bang, a muffled explosion. It was coming from the underground. On impulse, (Y/N) followed the sound. Her mind was not inclined to jump to conclusions but in this case, it immediately went to Hange.

Unsurprisingly, when (Y/N) entered the basement Hange stood in the corridor trying not to breathe in the chemical fumes they created. They waved a door back and forth speeding up the air circulation, ventilating the improvised laboratory that was now full of smoke.

"What happened?" (Y/N) asked, sounding genuinely troubled. Hange removed the hand covering their mouth.

"Nothing serious, I was just messing with the measurements." They are stating it like a usual thing and not at all a rare accident. An uncontrolled environment can't be the norm, can it? That would be so irresponsible... Hange's actions baffled her.