6 - Promises To Keep:

There was a fleeting moment in which I felt the need to punch him, but the frustration manifested in another needy moan. The fire he stoked inside of me was dying for more fuel, but he instead used one hand to make sure my dress was still covering my ass.

The most gentle of gentlemen.

“I have to tell you something.”

I sat up straight on top of him, hands resting flat on his stomach, “don't worry, Kirk. I'm 100% accepting of your micropenis.”

All it took was a quick, hard flex against my most sensitive region to wipe the smug look off my face. The way it made my panties wedge between my folds a little wasn't expected at all. My mouth opened slightly as I was about to bite my lip, but I immediately shut my primal instincts down.

“Does that feel micro to you?”

God, help me, I was crushing far too hard.

I cleared away the hitch in my throat, “What do you want to tell me?”

“You might not want to hear it.”

“All the more reason to tell me.”

He brought his hands to rest on my bare thighs and struggled to look me in the eye. Truth is, in that moment he could've told he was responsible for the death of my beloved cat in senior year and I wouldn't go off on him. I was that smitten.

But then all of a sudden he did look me straight in the eye, delivering the new information in a deadpan manner, “I'm not a virgin.”

The urge to smile was there, but I resisted. I had a sneaking suspicion all along that he was or had been sexually active. He was a rockstar, for crying out loud. One that wasn't confined to the boundaries of a monogamous relationship at that too.

“You had sex and never told me about it?”

“Why would I tell you about it?”

“Uh, maybe because we're best friends and tell each other everything?”

“Yeah, I'd tell James and the other guys. But I'm not sharing the details of my sex life with you, that's just weird.”

“How's that weird?” I questioned, hoping he wouldn't see through my fake ignorance.

“It's weird, because I think about you all the time.”

My heart did a little somersault in my chest. There was no stopping my smile now. I leaned over again, chin propped up on his chest, “really? All the time?”

“All the goddamn time, Dove. When I eat breakfast Cheerios, when I'm writing riffs and need some inspiration, when I'm out at the skatepark, when I'm hanging out with the guys, when I'm laying next to some other chick... Everything I do, you're right there with me all the fucking time and it's like I'd rather be doing those things with you.”

I didn't even want to say anything. I didn't want to taint the lingering of his saccharine words with the wretched sound of my voice. So I reached for his head and pulled his face closer to mine. He stopped me just as our breaths collided.

“You know how I'm always telling you I love you, like a best friend should?”

I nodded once.

“And you know how I told you I'm going to kiss you before the song ends, and I did?”

The memory thrilled me. I grinned a little too much and nodded vigorously. His hand affectionately cupped my cheek and I leaned into his touch. He pulled me in closer to his mouth again so my lips could feel his faint whisper.