Chapter 10: Stay

I just stared at her. All of my words were out the window, save for one, but my mouth didn't move. I couldn't move.

"What?"

"A simple search would've told you that she's been engaged for a few years now."

She went on her phone and suddenly, mine went off, notifying me that I had gotten a text.

"That's just one article I found." I shook my head at her. "There's more."

"No, she-she would've told me," I whispered, the pain in my voice not going unnoticed by Kate.

She winced at the sound of my voice, but continued to go on.

"She's with a man, Y/N. You've been strung along. Tricked."

"That's not true!" I yelled, completely ignoring the fact that she had sent me 'proof'. I had to hear it from Elizabeth herself. "She wouldn't lie to me."

Before Kate could respond, I stormed into my room, slamming the door behind myself. No, it was impossible. Elizabeth wouldn't keep something like this from me ... right? Well, I had to know. I had to ask her right now.

I pulled out my phone, hesitating when I saw the text from Kate. Taking a breath, I opened it and clicked the link, scrolling through the article. It seemed to be true. He had given her a ring, they were seen together ...

Holding back tears, I called her, dreading the conversation.

"Hey, baby. Missed me already?"

"Are you engaged?"

I cut straight to the point, no greetings, no false cheerful hellos.

"What?"

"Are you ... engaged?"

"I-"

"Please don't lie," my voice was small and hurt. "Just ... tell me the truth."

She was silent for a moment, only the sound of her hazards were audible in the painful silence.

"Only in the public eye."

"What?"

"It's ... it's for appearances. Nobody knows I'm bisexual, even I didn't really know. Robbie and I were engaged, but we've been separated for a long time. He has a girlfriend and I have you. We just ... never announced it to the world."

"How can I believe that?" I cried, sniffling pathetically. "How do I know that's true?"

"I never lied to you, Y/N."

"But you never mentioned this either!"

"I ..." she sighed. "I'm coming back. We need to talk about this in person."

For a moment, I wanted to tell her to stay the hell away from me, but I didn't. Thank god, I didn't.

"Okay," I whispered, knowing she was right. "Okay."

"Thank you," she breathed. "I'll be there in ten minutes."

I hung up without another word, tears flowing down my cheeks. The night had been so perfect before this. I walked back out into the living room, thankful that Kate had retreated into her own room for the night. She'd caused enough trouble - all because her relationship was in shambles.

I paced, wringing my fingers as I tried to calm myself down. This was a nightmare. What she said on the phone had made sense. And why did she have to announce her private breakup to the world?

Because she's a celebrity, I snapped at myself.

But she's still a person.

She was still a person. She deserved privacy despite her celebrity status. Running my hands over my face, I sighed. Maybe this was just me overreacting to old news. Maybe she was telling the truth.