Chapter 1

This is the story of a girl named Charlotte, and it starts with the sun. Once upon a time, a single drop of sunlight fell to the ground. A magic, golden flower grew from this drop of light. This flower had a magical power; the power to heal the sick and injured.

Centuries passed, and a kingdom was made nearby. A kingdom that was ruled by a beloved king and queen. Queen Mercedes (my oc) was about to have a baby, but she wound up getting deathly ill. King Hubert knew that the only way to save his wife would be with the magic golden flower, so he and his men set out to find it.

However, they didn't know about TerrenceSuave. He had been hoarding the sun's gift for years, in order to keep himself young and beautiful. All he had to do was sing a song to it. Unfortunately for him, the king's guards found the flower. It was quickly uprooted, made into a brew, and given to Mercedes.

Thanks to the magic of the flower, not only was Mercedes healed, her new baby girl had beautiful, brown hair. And this baby was of course, Princess Charlotte. To celebrate her birth, Hubert and Mercedes launched a flying lantern into the sky. For that one moment, everything was perfect. And then that moment ended.

That night, Terrence snuck into the castle and walked over to the sleeping baby.

"Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine..." he sang.

Charlotte 's hair began glowing, and Helsa took out a pair of scissors.

"Make the clock rever-,"he continued, as he snipped a lock of Charl's hair. To Terrence 's shock, the hair he had cut stopped glowing. As he started turning old again, he realized there was only one thing he could do. Hubert and Mercedes woke up to their daughter crying, and before they could stop him, Terrence disappeared with Charlotte.

The entire kingdom searched for the princess, but no one was able to find her. Terrence had brought Charlotte to a tower deep in the woods, where no one would be able to find her. He also nicknamed her Charlie.

Six years later, Charlie's hair continued to grow longer, since Terrence wouldn't dare cut it again. He brushed the little girl's hair as she sang.

"Save what has been lost, bring back what once was mine. What once was mine," Charlie sang.

Terrence had found his new magic flower, and this time, he'd be sure to keep it hidden.

"Why can't I go outside?" Charlie asked.

"Because it's dangerous out there. It's filled with disgusting, selfish people. That's why you have to stay here. Where it's nice and safe and nothing ever happens. Got it?" Terrence asked.

"Yes, Daddy " Charlie nodded.

However, the walls of that tower couldn't hide everything. Each year, on her birthday, the king and queen released thousands of lanterns into the sky. In hopes that one day, their lost princess would return.

Charlie didn't know what they were, or why they only appeared on her birthday, but she always stayed up to watch them. And she always hoped that maybe, just maybe, she'd be able to see them in person one

By the time she was seventeen, Charlie's hair had grown to be thirty feet long. The day before her eighteenth birthday, Charlie was playing hide and seek with her chameleon Ellie. She hid on the window ledge and blended in with the flower pots, hoping Charlie wouldn't see her.

 She hid on the window ledge and blended in with the flower pots, hoping Charlie wouldn't see her

"Hmm.....well, I guess Ellie isn't 't hiding out here," Charlie said.

The lizard sighed with relief. Just then, Charlie used her hair to grab her by her tail.

"Gotcha!" she exclaimed. She smiled before lowering her back onto the ledge.

"That's twenty two for me....why not twenty three out of forty five?"

Ellie gave her a bored expression.

"Okay then, what do you want to do?" Charlie asked.

Ellie used her tail to point outside.
"Sorry, Ellie. You know we can't. Besides, I really like it in here! Don't you like it too?" Charlie asked.

Ellie shrugged.

"Aw, come on, Ellie! It isn't that bad in there," said Charlie.

She picked up her chameleon and headed back inside to get started on her morning routine.

"Seven a.m., the usual morning lineup
Start on the chores and sweep 'till the floor's all clean
Polish and wax, do laundry, and mop and shine up
Sweep again, and by then it's like 7:15," Charlie sang, as she finished up with her chores.

"And so I'll read a book
Or maybe two or three
I'll add a few new paintings to my gallery
I'll play guitar and knit
And cook and basically
Just wonder when will my life begin?" she continued. Charlie did everything she mentioned in her song, then she realized a part of the wall she hadn't painted yet. She smiled and decided to put a painting of the floating lights there.

"Then after lunch it's puzzles and darts and baking
Paper mache, a bit of ballet and chess
Pottery and ventriloquy, candle making
Then I'll stretch, maybe sketch, take a climb
Sew a dress!" sang Charlie. Once again, she did everything she listened, ending it by sewing matching dresses for Ellie.

"And I'll reread the books
If I have time to spare
I'll paint the walls some more
I'm sure there's room somewhere
And then I'll brush and brush
And brush and brush my hair
Stuck in the same place I've always been," she added.

"And I'll keep wonderin' and wonderin'
And wonderin' and wonderin'
When will my life begin?" Charlie sang.

She walked over to the window and gazed outside.

"And tomorrow night
The lights will appear
Just like they do on my birthday each year

What is it like
Out there where they glow?
Now that I'm older
Mother might just
Let me go," she continued.

Charlie looked at her painting she had made of the lights in the sky. She added a figure of herself, watching them from the ground below. She just had to go see the lights. She could only hope that her father would approve.