|17| // Encouraged Effort

|Setting: Sports Festival Stadium|

"Alright! Now we'll take an hour break for lunch before we start the afternoon festivities! See ya!" Present Mic announced to the audience as they slowly left the stadium.

Meanwhile, the students were also leaving and chatting. 

"What happened? Before I knew it, we had zero points, and it was over..." every member of Team Tetsutetsu gathered, depressed.

"Mina, congratulations." Asui approached the pink-skinned girl. 

"Well, Bakugo just let me join to use my quirk against Todoroki, so I'm not sure if it reflects my abilities." Mina sighed.

"Iida, I didn't know you had a special move like that! No fair!" Uraraka complained.

"It has nothing to do with fairness, I just wasn't using it as intended!" Iida retorted before getting gloomy: "Besides, it didn't even work on Midoriya."

"Cheer up, Iida, Izu's just too strong." Uraraka replied in an attempt to cheer up the class rep.

.

.

.

"Speaking of which, where is Midoriya?" Iida looked around. Bakugo heard them and suddenly went bonkers, yelling: "Fucking bastard! Always getting lost!"

 • • • • • • • • 

After the hour break, the students and audience gathered once again in the stadium. 

"Alright, everyone!" Present Mic yelled to get the crowd hyped up. "Let's have some fun competing in the recreational games!"

"When that's over, the sixteen from the four teams that made it to the final round will duke it out tournament style, one-on-one!" Mic explained what the next game was going to be.

"I'm gonna stand on the stage that I watch every year on TV!" Kirishima got excited.

"Was there a tournament last year?" Mina, who was behind Kirishima, asked.

"It's different every year, but there's always a one-on-one competition every year. Last year it was a sports chanbara match." Sero interjected.

"Now, let's draw lots to determine the bracket." Midnight pulled everyone's attention, holding up a big box. "Once the bracket is decided, we'll play the recreational game and then start!"

"The sixteen finalists can decide whether or not they want to participate in the recreational games, I'm sure some of you would like to save your strength instead."

"Now, starting with the first team." Midnight was walking towards Izuku when she saw Ojiro rise his hand.

"Um, excuse me!" Ojiro said, catching the attention of those surrounding him. "I'm withdrawing." he said, surprising the other participants.

"Ojiro?! This is a rare chance for the pros to see you!" Iida said. Izuku was going to speak but decided not to.

"I barely remember anything from the cavalry battle until the end, I think it was because of that guy's quirk." Ojiro explained.

"Tch." Izuku said to himself as he glared at Shinso, who avoided his gaze.

"I know this is a great chance and that it's stupid to waste it, but everyone here gave it their all to get here. That's why... I don't think I deserve to be on that stage." Ojiro said, ashamed.

"You should just make sure you produce results in the finals!" Hagakure said.

"If you're going to say that, I didn't do much either." Mina tried to cheer him up.