Chapter 3: The First Night

Neither Dev nor Sonakshi spoke a word to each other nor even looked at each other throughout the ride to the Dixit Manor

It looked really beautiful. It had been decorated really well on the occasion of the wedding. The mansion had a well-manicured lawn around it. There were many flower plants. Sonakshi could even see a few benches and swings on the lawn.

The driveway was filled with many parked cars. Sonakshi could see people near the door and could also see the flashes of cameras from afar.

Sonakshi once again looked at the mansion. Sonakshi had mostly stayed in a hostel after her mother's death. The Saxenas lived in a penthouse in a posh locality of Delhi. They used to stay in a bungalow when her mother was alive. But after her death, they moved to the penthouse.

The car stopped in front of the Dixit mansion.

Dev got off the car and pulled open the door for Sonakshi. Sonakshi was slightly pleased with this polite behavior of his and almost gave him a smile.

But sadly, Dev did not wait for her to get off. He started walking towards the door without her even next to him.

Such a jerk! Sonakshi thought and rolled her eyes at his figure moving towards the door and got off the car and sped to walk beside him.

At the doorstep, they were greeted by the sight of Ishwari and the other married women of the Dixit family. Ishwari was having a plate with all items to welcome the newly married couple.

She looked at her son and her daughter-in-law. She gave both of them a bright smile. Sonakshi smiled slightly while Dev just gave a neutral face.

"It is time for the Griha Pravesh," Ishwari said.

During the Griha Pravesh, the mother-in-law then applies a tilak to both the bride and groom, after which the couple seeks blessing from the elders present. After this, the bride has to tilt a Kalash (pot) laden with rice using her right foot and then step into a dish with Alta or vermilion water. After this, she has to walk into the home leaving behind auspicious red footprints which is symbolic of the arrival of Goddess Lakshmi.

Ishwari applied a tilak on Dev's forehead and then Sonakshi's forehead. Both of them bent together to take her blessings.

"Push the Kalash with your right leg Sonakshi and enter the plate that is filled with vermilion water," Ishwari spoke to her new daughter-in-law.

Sonakshi pushed the Kalash filled with rice using her right leg and put both her feet into the plate of vermilion water.

"Now walk inside Sonakshi," Ishwari said.

Sonakshi walked inside the house her feet making red imprints on the floor. Ishwari went near Sonakshi and asked her to put her hands into the vermilion water and make an imprint of her hands on the wall. Sonakshi followed her mother-in-law's orders to the T.