Chapter 13: Eloped

All the news regarding the article about Dev had been taken over by the news of his sister Neha Dixit's Wedding

All the news regarding the article about Dev had been taken over by the news of his sister Neha Dixit's Wedding. Dixit House was filled with workers and wedding planners running around making sure the arrangements were perfectly done. Gifts were being packed, and savouries were being prepared for the guests. 

In all the celebrations, there was one person sitting in front of the mirror. Her eyes were melancholy, staring right into the mirror.

Neha Dixit.

Neha looked at herself. She was being decked up for her wedding to a perfect, eligible bachelor. Many people would be envious of her state. The way her beauty was glowing. Yet, Neha couldn't see any shine in her eyes. Her heart was stuck on Vikas. Her lover.

"Neha," Sonakshi called out when entering the room. Neha turned to look at her.

"Do you want something to eat or drink? There is lime soda and coke?" her sister-in-law asked her.

Neha just shook her head, denying the need for any drinks. She went back to look at herself in the mirror. Sonakshi noticed the melancholic expression on Neha's face, walked up to her and stood behind her.

"What are you thinking about?" Sonakshi asked her.

"Nothing," Neha replied.

"You can tell me anything," Sonakshi tried to urge her.

"What were you thinking when you were in my place?" Neha asked her.

Sonakshi stood mum for a few minutes. Both sisters-in-law were staring at each other's faces.

"Do you want to know the truth?" Sonakshi asked, to which she received a nod in the affirmative.

Sonakshi took a deep breath, contemplating how much honesty she could afford. "The truth is, Neha, I didn't want to get married to your brother. It was an arrangement, a decision made by our families. I had dreams and ambitions, but they all faded away in the background of this grand wedding."

Neha countered, "But you seem happy now, with Dev bhai and all the festivities."

Sonakshi sighed. "I've learned to find joy in what I have. Dev is a good man. It's not the life I dreamed of, but it's a life I've accepted."

Neha turned back to the mirror, a pensive expression on her face. "What about love, Sonakshi? Did you ever love someone else before Dev bhai?"

Sonakshi denied, "No, there was no one. My ambitions didn't allow it. I made my peace with it eventually."

Neha's eyes met Sonakshi's in the mirror. "What if you had the chance to be with another person? A person who would match your dream expectations? Would you take it?"

Sonakshi smiled sadly. "It's a tempting thought, but life isn't that simple, Neha. We have responsibilities, commitments."

Neha's gaze dropped to the floor, lost in her thoughts. After a moment of silence, she spoke softly, "I can't do this, Sonakshi. I can't marry anyone else when my heart belongs to only Vikas."