13. Unexpected Sympathizers

The artwork above is not mine.

•~ ❘ ۞ ❘ ~•

    The storm carried on into the next morning. Eris woke to the sound of booming thunder, and lightning crackled outside his window. When he made his way downstairs, he found Evren and Celosia in the sitting room. Evren was playing the piano.

    Eris leaned against the doorframe, watching her. There was a sparkle in her eyes as her fingers roamed over the keys. A smile tugged at her lips, but it wasn't quite there. That was where he'd start. He would convince her to smile, somehow.

    Evren looked up, meeting his gaze. "Are you here for your lesson?"

    "Or for the company?" Celosia added.

    Eris entered the room and sat down beside Evren. "This lesson will have to be short. We're leaving for the Night Court soon."

    Celosia raised an eyebrow. "We?"

    "Evren and I," Eris clarified.

    It was Evren's turn to look surprised. "We?" She echoed.

    "I contacted Lucien last night and asked if I could bring you along. I think you'll like the Night Court," Eris explained.

    "What about me?" Celosia interrupted.

    Eris shook his head. Evren looked away and gestured for him to begin playing. Eris spread his fingers across the keys and played through the warmups she set before him.

    His gaze drifted to Celosia. She wore an annoyed expression, but said nothing. After half an hour, Celosia left. When the door closed behind her, Evren spoke.

    "How long will we be staying in the Night Court?" She asked.

    "One night."

    "Why do you want me to come with you?"

    "Like I said, I think you'll like the Night Court," he said casually. Evren turned the sheet of music over. Eris played through those notes almost without mistake.

    "Isn't there a job for me to do here?"

    "I'm waiting to see who our next priority should be," Eris replied.

    "Do I have to come? I doubt they'll appreciate you bringing an assassin into their court."

    "I told Lucien to explain the situation to Rhysand. They know what you are and they still said you could come. But no, you don't have to if you don't want to."

    Evren slid off the bench and stood near a window. Droplets of rain slid down the glass. She lifted a finger to the window and traced the path of another raindrop. Eris kept playing, but watched her from the corner of his eyes. There were cracks in her cold shell. He was beginning to see them. Evren met his gaze.

    "All right," she said. "I'll come."

    "Pack a bag."

•~ ❘ ۞ ❘ ~•

    Late in the afternoon, Evren joined Eris outside of the house. The rain had finally let up. Eris took her by the shoulder and wind roared in her ears. Evren squeezed her eyes shut until the roar faded.

    She opened her eyes to see a mountain clearing. A chilly wind blew around them. Evren shivered slightly. "Did you bring a sweater or a cloak?" Eris asked.

    "No, I don't wear cloaks or anything of the sort."

    "Why?"

    "I can't stand how they feel," she answered vaguely. Eris didn't press her for further explanation. His hand grew warm on her shoulder. That warmth spread through her body gradually. Two winged figures appeared in the distance. "I've never seen Fae like them before."