Chapter Eight

Kate pulled into the cute apartment complex she lived in with four-year-old Caleb in the backseat. He'd been babbling non-stop since she picked him up from school.

Her little man would start Kindergarten before she knew it.

Parking in front of her first floor unit, Kate glanced back at the little boy she loved more than life itself. She needed to get him inside, bathed, and fed.

Brian was picking him up in an hour for his week.

They did the exchange on Friday evenings. It gave each parent two full weekends on their own and two full weekends with their son every month.

Gathering her work bag and Caleb's backpack, she got out of the car and helped her little boy from his carseat.

Holding his hand, she unlocked the front door and stepped inside the little space so different from the home she'd shared with Brian.

The house they bought together had been an oasis of comfort. Scented candles, carefully placed art and ceramics, throw rugs, and heavy furniture.

Entering her sparse but welcoming apartment always helped to remind her that things were different now, that life had changed substantially.

It anchored her in her new reality.

Bath time was a riot as always. Caleb made funny hairstyles with his bubbles and told her stories about his day, his friends, and his bath toys.

He was bright and personable, more adorable than mere words could express. She hustled him out of the tub and into a fluffy towel. Once he was fully dry, she guided him to his bedroom to help him dress.

"I can do it, Mommy."

Watching him becoming independent was both fascinating and a little sad. Time was already flying.

"Peanut butter and jelly sandwich or pancakes?" she asked.

Friday nights were easy. The rest of the week was filled with home-cooked meals Caleb had no clue were good for him but exchange days had to be simple.

"PB&J! Cut in fours!" Kate nodded as she straightened his shirt over his jeans. "Gonna wear cowboy boots, Mommy. Licia and Daddy are taking me to a farm with lots of animals. I don't have boots over there."

Forcing her heart to be still against the pain, Kate managed a smile. She quickly packed a small backpack with the few items Caleb carried between the two houses. Mr. Big Stuff, his floppy stuffed elephant, went on top.

Carrying it into the kitchen, she dropped it on a bar stool as she made his sandwich. He climbed up on the other stool to watch her.

When it was ready, she cut it in four pieces, added a sliced apple, and a few grapes to his plate. Pouring a glass of milk, she placed everything in front of him.

"Yummy! My favorite!"

Kate chatted with him while he ate. Occasionally, she gently reminded him not to talk with his mouth full but he was so good for such a little boy.

He was down to his apple slices when there was a knock on the front door.

"Daddy's here, little man," she said quietly.

She wrapped his apples in a paper towel while he jumped off the stool and ran to the front door.

Kate picked up his backpack and followed more slowly. Caleb hopped from one foot to the other, waiting for her to open the door.

When she did, he jumped at Brian who caught him with a grin. He hugged Caleb and listened attentively as his son filled him in on his week while munching on an apple slice.

If there was one thing she had to give Brian, it was that he was a better dad than his own father had been.

He was good with kids in general. As a teenager, he'd volunteered to coach the peewee football team. Some of those kids still kept in touch with him.

Meeting her eyes, her ex-husband said softly, "Kate."

She nodded but words wouldn't come.

"Gotta put me down, Daddy. Mommy needs snuggles before I go."

Brian set Caleb on his feet and her son wrapped himself around her thighs. "Mommy, I'll miss you. I love you bunches."

Her sweet little man.

"I love you, too." She crouched to hug and kiss him before handing him his bag and stepping back. "Have fun with Daddy and be extra good. I packed your little camera. Take pictures of the animals for me."

Brian took his hand and turned toward the SUV parked beside her car. "I'm going to get you all buckled in and I'll turn on music. I need to talk to Mommy for just a minute."

Before she was ready, Brian was standing in front of her again. "Kate, listen...about the petting zoo. If you're not cool with that, we can do something else. I should have talked to you about it first."

Back when they were still a family, Kate and Brian made plans to have Caleb's fourth birthday at the petting zoo. It had never happened...but so many other things had.

"No." She rubbed her temple where a tension headache was forming. "He'll love it and that's what matters. I have to go. I'm exhausted. Have fun this weekend."

As she moved to close the door, Brian touched her wrist. "Kate, I'm sorry. You don't know how sorry I am."

"Sure." Caleb was a wealth of information without meaning to be. "I imagine you're especially sorry when you have to eat TV dinners or wash your own laundry."

"No..."

"Yes, Brian. I was the wife and mother you wish you grew up with." She shrugged. "That wasn't enough and I've made peace with that knowledge."

"You were more than that to me, Kate."

"You made your choices and I made mine. It's just life. The rest doesn't matter anymore."

"It matters." He dropped his hand. "I didn't mean to hurt you."

A lump in her throat, Kate answered, "But you didn't care that you did. You need to go."

"Do you...have plans this weekend?"

Krista's voice surprised them both. "She's going out with us. Stop trying to be her friend, Brian. It's beneath you to use Kate's goodness against her because you're no friend." She sashayed passed him into the apartment. "Hey, Sissy. I'm not kidding, by the way. You're going out."

Kate's smile was resigned. "Guess that answers that question. Yeah, I have plans." Brian's jaw tightened. She shook her head. "Please don't pretend to care what I do. Enjoy time with your son, Brian. I'll see you next week."

With that, she shut the door and watched from the peephole as Brian considered knocking again. Finally, he ran his hands over his face and turned away. Her ex-husband and son drove away a few moments later.

Exhaling roughly, she turned to her younger sister.

Krista saw the look on her face and murmured, "Oh, Kate. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

She shrugged. "It's been a year. At least it gets a little easier to deal with him every time."

"You're going out dancing. Safe dudes, a couple drinks, let your hair down a little." With that, she tugged Kate towards her bedroom. "Get dressed, ho!"

© Shayne McClendon