Chapter Twenty-One

Leaning away from the door with a frown, Kate wondered at the way her heart started racing in fear.

"I know you're there, Kate. The lights haven't been off long enough for you to be sleeping yet."

From his words, she knew he'd been outside for at least twenty minutes. Was he simply watching her home?

She heard him place his hands on the wood and instinctively took another step back.

"Open the door and let's talk."

Taking a deep breath, she told him, "Go home, Brian."

"See how well I know you? Open the door, Kate." When she didn't, he slammed his hand against the door and she jumped. "Open the door! We've known each other for twenty years and I deserve another fucking chance!"

"You should not be here. You have Caleb's Scout trip this weekend. Don't freak me out and ruin that for him."

"I would never hurt you, Kate..."

"Brian, what you're doing right now is scaring me. You aren't behaving normally at all. We've been divorced so long and I don't understand why you're doing all this now."

"Open. The. Door."

Taking her phone out of her robe pocket, Kate sent a text in her family group chat.

Brian is at my front door...
I think he's been outside for a while.
He won't leave.
Should I call the police?

Ten seconds later, Brian's phone rang. She pressed her ear to the door to listen.

"What do you want, Kyle...she's my wife...bullshit, she'd never call the cops...you don't understand...I fight for what I want, what belongs to me...don't you say that shit to me, man...don't say that shit!"

Shaking, Kate selected her phone app and keyed in 9-1-1 but didn't hit send.

"You have to leave, Brian. You shouldn't be here."

"Why are you doing this? Why do you keep punishing me, Kate? I said I was sorry."

"None of that matters anymore. We're divorced and we will stay divorced. You moved on and I can do that, too."

"I didn't move on...I could never, Kate." He was quiet for a moment then said, "Shut up, Kyle!"

"If you don't leave, I have to call the police. I don't want to...I don't want Caleb's father arrested. Please go, please."

A small hand slipped inside the one that wasn't holding her phone. She looked down and her little boy smiled up at her.

He called out, "Daddy...go home. You're scaring Mommy!"

"Caleb..."

"Go home! You go home right now, Daddy! I mean it!"

There was a long minute of silence and Kate worried she would rattle out of her skin.

"Alright, son. I'll see you Saturday." Another pause. "Goodnight, Kate."

She didn't respond. A moment later, she heard him cross the walkway. The sound of him getting in his SUV and driving away filled her with relief.

Going to her knees in front of Caleb, Kate whispered, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you up."

"It's okay, Mommy. You sounded like you were having a bad dream." His sigh made him sound older than he was. "I have bad dreams. You say I have to tell the bad guys to go away! They do, Mommy. When I tell them that."